Winter is almost here

Mike Mags

This is my first winter with my GN. It will be stored in couple weeks until spring.I'm just about due for an oil change. should I change it before storage or wait until spring?
I also plan on using a trickle charger , or should I pull the battery?
Any other helpfull storage thoughts welcome!!

Hi Mike,

Doesn't hurt to change the oil before storage. I just put a trickle charger on mine during the winter and leave the battery in. If there isn't sand on the roads I like to take the GN out for exercise every couple of weeks. Nothing like nice cold winter air to wake up your TR!

Funny how you guys are getting ready to put your cars to sleep but out here in AZ it has started to cool off so the racing season is just beginning...

You lucky dogs! In New York they like to pour the salt thick on the roads. The GN will be sleeping a good 4-5 months:(
Oh well just more time to save for more mods!:D

I grew up in New York State and it sucks if you have a nice car. Glad I live down here now. It is just starting to cool off down here and the TR is running better with each temp. drop.

Just put a second coat of POR15 on salvageV6, she's lookin' good.

Ready to go racing too.

Put what away? :D

No state uses more salt than MI:mad:

Definitely change the oil so all the acids and combustion byproducts are gone.
Take the K/N off and spray a little fogger in, it will protect the turbo and engine internals from moisture.
I would fill the gas tank with premium and use stabilizer to preserve the octane
If you drain the tank it will collect moisture and dry out the seals in the pump

I recommend disconnecting the battery and charging it once a month. The only way a battery charger should be left on is if it has an internal regulator and shuts off when the battery is charged. A straight trickle charger is a fire hazard and will burn out a battery much faster than if it were left alone

Things are looking nice here in southern Cal also. :) The racing weather is getting better by the day!! :D

Mike,

I hear ya man, it was 35° this morning up here in MAINE, and only getting cooler. I figure I SHOULD have another month and a half before snow though.
As for storage, what BlackBuick said is right now. DEFINITELY get the old oil out,and fill the tank with good gas and a good amount of Sta-Bil. Then you'll just have to take it easy on the first tank when you bring her out. Stabil does good work, but I still don't trust the "old" gas 100%. I don't know what you have for rear tires, but you man wanna put the rear on jackstands to avoid flat spots (I have bias ply tires on the rear). I just leave the battery in, and charge it in the spring. I wouldn't trust a trickle charge to work 100%. I would worry about overcharging too. Kind of a no-brainer, but make sure your coolant is good down to ridiculous temperatures. I usually shoot for -40 up here. I know some people run different mixtures from summer to winter.
And take solace in the fact that MANY others have to do the same thing to their babies in the winter. It just makes the rebirth in the spring that much better!

yeah the temps are falling into the low 40's here at night now...it's great! the car is soooooo much more powerful in colder weather...if you guys want to get some final runs in to get good timeslips...now's the time to do it...that's what i plan on doing in a few weeks...

as for storing the GN...this will be my FIRST year storing the GN in winter as i have driven it in winter the past 4 years since i had no other car...i barely have any rust on my car still so that's why i want to preserve it as much as possible...what i planned on doing was filling up with 93 octane...drain the summer coolant mix of 50/50 and gonna put straight coolant in there...i am gonna put the car on jack stands because i have brand new tires still...i will take out the battery and lock up the car...keep the kill switch on and i will have a cover over the car...i also plan to wash and wax it before i store it...i will be changing the oil and who knows what else i need to do...any other suggestions? let's keep this thread going so the guys that store their GN regularly can chime in here:D

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Seems like no brainer stuff. You guys think it's better to put her away for the whole winter or is it better to have the car prepared properly ie.( gas full, new oil, coolant good etc.) but still be able to take her out on nice days now and then. Whats better for the car?

I'd suggest taking it out for a good 30-40 min drive when you can or at least start it once a month and let it get up to temp.

Originally posted by tc86gn
I grew up in New York State and it sucks if you have a nice car. Glad I live down here now. It is just starting to cool off down here and the TR is running better with each temp. drop.

In NY we have our temp drops in August :D

Thirty eight degrees when I went to work this morning. Checked the website and New England Dragway is open until the end of October. Got my cracked header fixed and I'm ready to rock!:D Street nights are Wednesday and Friday nights. I'm gonna try to go Friday night, if it doesn't rain (or snow!!). What are you guys getting for 60' times on studded snows?;)