Wires in back of radio

tonysmach

radio and tape deck don't work. The unit powers up but no sound. Can someone tell me which wires are which from the picture? I know the blue and white connectors are for the front and rear speakers but where are the wires to the speakers in the door since I have the concert sound option? Also what is the black wire taped to the back of the radio? I know the black connector is the power but what are the orange and black wire for? thanks for your help.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 362
looks like from the back of the stereo,youve got a low power unit (this radio needs an amp to work,ie; BOSE)......
the single black plug is remote out to "tell" an amp to turn off/on.

that explains why the stereo is on,but no audio.... you need an amplified stereo....

the orange wire= battery or memory lead.
grey= illumination.

the door speakers should have a blue plug that has a "Y" harness into the front speakers.

looks like from the back of the stereo,youve got a low power unit (this radio needs an amp to work,ie; BOSE)......
the single black plug is remote out to "tell" an amp to turn off/on.

that explains why the stereo is on,but no audio.... you need an amplified stereo....

the orange wire= battery or memory lead.
grey= illumination.

the door speakers should have a blue plug that has a "Y" harness into the front speakers.

It was working...then just within the last 2 weeks, nothing. This is a stock concert sound radio with equializer. Would someone of modified it to be an amplified stereo? I know there is no amplifier in the car. the orange wire is hot because it will spark when I touch it to the back of the radio. When I unplug the black connector then there is absolutely no power to it. Any help is appreciated.

well,looks like i was wrong......the single black wire usually means non-amped stereo..... i doupt someone would mod a delco,but you never know......

try this,if the stereo comes on,then it has both power inputs (yellow on black plug is ignition) and orange on the two pin plug is memory/battery.

perhaps the protection circitry is on, meaning maybe you have a shorted speaker/speaker wire somewhere.

try this; turn off car unplug the front speakers (white plug) and turn on,see if rear speakers work, if so theres a short in the frount speakers and/or related wiring. if still no sound,turn off car again,reconect front speakers , disconect rear.try again......

another thought, is if you replace all four front speakers for the concert sound with aftermarket 4 ohm speaker and the way the factory wiring is,they will over load the radio's amp (the radio will see 2ohm:eek: ).

if this is the case, most likely radio output chip is fried. have it repaired/teasted or replace once you know for sure. if you have aftermarket speaker up front they need to be wired in series (8ohm) so the ohm load will be acceptable.

should i do a detailed thread (wiring,color codes,trouble shooting,repairs,etc)on CS11 and hope it becomes a "sticky"?

well,looks like i was wrong......the single black wire usually means non-amped stereo..... i doupt someone would mod a delco,but you never know......

try this,if the stereo comes on,then it has both power inputs (yellow on black plug is ignition) and orange on the two pin plug is memory/battery.

perhaps the protection circitry is on, meaning maybe you have a shorted speaker/speaker wire somewhere.

try this; turn off car unplug the front speakers (white plug) and turn on,see if rear speakers work, if so theres a short in the frount speakers and/or related wiring. if still no sound,turn off car again,reconect front speakers , disconect rear.try again......

another thought, is if you replace all four front speakers for the concert sound with aftermarket 4 ohm speaker and the way the factory wiring is,they will over load the radio's amp (the radio will see 2ohm:eek: ).

if this is the case, most likely radio output chip is fried. have it repaired/teasted or replace once you know for sure. if you have aftermarket speaker up front they need to be wired in series (8ohm) so the ohm load will be acceptable.

OK. I am beginning to figure it out. I replaced the front speakers and I just checked the specs. They are 4 ohm. So did I fry my radio output chip?

try the front/rear speaker test first. if no sound,most likely the out put chip is out in the stereo.....
some stereos last awhile,some die quickly....... luck of the draw.....but the oem speakers in CS11 is 10ohm(fronts only),so the parallel wiring is 5ohm at the stereo.

try the front/rear speaker test first. if no sound,most likely the out put chip is out in the stereo.....
some stereos last awhile,some die quickly....... luck of the draw.....but the oem speakers in CS11 is 10ohm(fronts only),so the parallel wiring is 5ohm at the stereo.

Will Do. Thanks for the help. If the radio is fried, any suggestions on a stereo that fits and looks good and plugs in without to much hassle. CD player would be nice. There was a aftermarket system in this car at one time because there is no harness. All the speaker wires leading out of the back of the radio are spliced.

Will Do. Thanks for the help. If the radio is fried, any suggestions on a stereo that fits and looks good and plugs in without to much hassle. CD player would be nice. There was a aftermarket system in this car at one time because there is no harness. All the speaker wires leading out of the back of the radio are spliced.

You are right, any good aftermarket CD player is an improvement over the factory cassette player. My suggestion is to go with any good name brand CD player that you like ie: Pioneer , Sony, Panasonic etc. are good choices. You don't have to go with the big 1.5 din radios for a good looking dash. A single din with a good dash kit ( we use Bestkit # BKMG434 ) that has a nice flush look in the dash and holds the most popular single din which is more affordable.

Can you explain what a 1.5 din is? I don't know what din stands for. Thanks.

good question. Delco stereos are bigger than aftermarket stereo, but smaller that most newer stereos. Din is a unit of measure for the stereo size.

single din; most common after market size stereos, older imports,fords,etc. roughly 2''x7''.

1.5 or 1 1/2 din; older delcos,dodge,etc stereos. 3 1/2'' x 7'' roughly.

double din; what most newer stereos are; GM,toyota,ford,etc. 4''x7''.

Digged up an old thread regarding that black connector taped off on the back of the stereo shown in the pic I also have that black connector what exactly is it? I read and read but still not clear to me sorry also does it need to b used plugged in somewhere? If yes what does it connect to? I don't see any wires under the dash in the radio harness area that would connect to that black connector.... Thanx

Since inquiring minds need to know...

I dug out my original radio (which has that same black wire taped to the back) and traced out that part of the circuit. It looks like it comes from a transistor that switches that wire to ground, I assume when the radio is powered on. I don't have a setup available right now to hook up one of these so I can't be 100% sure. That wire goes to the Collector of a surface mount transistor, whose Emitter is grounded. Base of the transistor gets a positive signal, transistor turns on, collector (and that output wire) gets pulled almost to ground, external amplifier turns on. Obviously there isn't one in this application, so that's why it's taped off and unused. Looks like Gary is right in that it's a remote turn on connection for an amp...

so then with that said there is no use for it right? now if i decide to add an aftermarket amp to the factory unit will i have to use it or not?

No, if it really is a switched ground, it probably won't help you. Most aftermarket amps I've seen use a switched +12V to turn on the amp. What you want to connect to is the pink wire that goes to the power antenna circuit. If the car has no power antenna, there won't be a wire in that location in the plug, probably. You'd have to get a pin to fit the connector. Dealers usually have those.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/4_speaker_stereo.jpg