wiring amp into factory system

subtlt

A little faster every day
Hi guys,

Been lurking in this forum for a while, soaking up as much information as I can. It's been 15 years since I played with car audio stuff (think Nakamichi cassette/Proton amp/Altec Lansing) and to say things have changed would be a monsterous understatement!

I'd like to enhance my stock system a bit. My goals are:

Completely stock appearing - I drive the car every day, and don't want someone looking in to see a nice head unit and busting up my car for it. I'd like adequate sound for daily driving with the T-tops out, something comparable to the Infinity II system in my wifes Chrysler van - nothing more. No damage to the factory wiring.

I'm currently running a CD-MP3 player through a cassette adapter in the factory EQ deck/CSII system. I'm using the factory 4x10s, and Boston RX57s in the CSII pods on the doors. I've disconnected the dash speakers. Currently, it sounds good enough for me until you turn up the volume, then the bass quickly dissappears (no guts).

Santa brought me a Pioneer GM X364 amp. 4x35w, bridgable to 2x75 or 2/3/4 channel, high level inputs, HP/LP filters at 80hz, SW RCA outs, etc. I don't recall Pioneer equipment ever being anything to write home about, but this might do the job? I can either run the full power to the RX57s up front and nothing in the rear, or run it 4ch. I'll wire it for both and try out different combos with the filters.

The plan is to make up a wiring harness to plug in to the factory harness between the head unit and the amp, and the amp to the speakers, using the high level in. Completely plug and play, no cut wires, although I still have to work through the power antenna/ amp turn on portion. I've got all the adapters required to do it, but before I go through the effort to install it, I'd like your opinions:

Will adding more power to the existing set up be worth it, or should I just return the amp and live with it?
Where should I install the amp? I was hoping to fit it under the seat, but no go, so it looks like the trunk. I'd really like to hide it if I could, so I was thinking of removing the spare and jack, and building a mounting board to hide the amp under the carpeted trunk kit...
What gauge power feed wire is required? Is it OK to run the power feed under the car the same way as my fuel pump hotwire kit, or should I run it through the passenger compartment?

Any advice or BTDT would be appreciated.

Thanks!