Wiring question? Help

Thomas Roadman

T-Type2.JPG

Bought a rolling chassis 83 T-Type. I'm installing a 455. I'm using the 83 wiring harness. I have 4 wires that I don't know if I need or not. One wire is a ground, there is a black wire that shows 9 volts with the key on and a tan wire and black wire connected that also show 9 volts key on. Can anyone out there with a Before Black tell me where these wires used to go? Thanks! I have the complete wiring diagram but it really doesn't help in this case.

Which side of the chassis are these wires on? All the wires on the drivers side will get you where you need to be and the ones on the passenger side are 99% for the CCC system.

The wires are in a loom coming from the passengers side. The wires are quite long and could have gone to the front of the V6 or all the way to the other side, hence my confusion.

What you need to do first then is figure out if any of the wires on the passenger side do anything other than the puter controls. If not then disconnect any power to the plug at the firewall. With a simple V8 installation all you need is the starter wires and the one to the coil and alternator, and all them should be on the drivers side.;)

I have eliminated most of the extraneous wiring using the diagram. The 455 starts and runs just fine (sitting in the driveway so far). These are the only wires that I cannot find on the wiring schematic. I don't want to eliminate any wiring until I know they are not needed. I thought someone with a similar car could pick up the hood and locate the wires with those colors and distinctive terminal ends.

The issue is most of us have the turbo V6 in our cars. I honestly don't think we've got an NA sbc or 455 guy on the board.

Yes, that is why I posted here. My car was an 83 V6 turbo and the wiring harness is original to the car. I thought someone with an intact V6 turbo of the same vintage could find the wires on their car and let me know where they lead.

You might want to go look at www.beforeblack.net and see what Rich's site has on it. Going NA without the CCC is completely different from the turbo wiring with the CCC system intact.;)

Sorry for the confusion. If I had a stock 83 V6 turbo in front of me I could pop the hood and locate this wire and see where it terminates. That is really all I want to know; I don't really care about the CCC, just want to make sure I'm not eliminating a necessary ground or indicator light circuit.

They all have the same connector and go to the same place. All three are grounded at the turbo compressor mounting bolts. The short one would have been to the front bolt and the others on the passneger side together.

Great, so they were related to the operation of the turbo and not anything I will be using with the 455.
Thanks.

Well, technically they have nothing to do with the operation of the turbo, just they are grounded there. They are part of the right side hraness, which is all about ECM.

Not sure how you "eliminated most of the extraneous wiring". You should have just removed the complete harness, sensors and ECM intact. It would be valuable to someone with an '83. Hopefully you didn't just clip off the wiring.