Wiseco Pistons any good ?

turbota440

Curious what has been the opinion of the Wiseco pistons. Are they a good choice for a daily driver or are they more of a racing piston ? Looking for a good daily driver forged piston. What do you guys think ?

They're made of 2000 series aluminum so they're going to need more clearance than a stock or 4000 series forging. You'll have extra noise from pistons rattle have have to be diligent about letting them warm up before getting on it.

They're made of 2000 series aluminum so they're going to need more clearance than a stock or 4000 series forging. You'll have extra noise from pistons rattle have have to be diligent about letting them warm up before getting on it.
Thanks for that info. Primary requirement for a street car to me is quiet running. What is the sidewall clearance on a 4000 series aluminum piston please ?

The intended usage will dictate any changes but a good roundabout number is 3 thou.

I agree if I needed a stock replacement but it has been written on this forum that these SP /TRW are almost as heavy as my GM factory pistons. No gain in changing out unless they were lighter and gained some streetable compression like around 9:0 to 1. My low mileage pistons are in great shape just heavy. For a street car I guess I wouldn't feel the difference.
I guess the question should be Can you feel the engine acceleration in the seat of your pants with a lighter piston ?? Anyone know that?

You won't feel it acceleration wise... but those pistons won't get you the compression you want.

Knocking weight off, removes stresses, make it cheaper to balance, and can cut down on vibrations.

You won't feel it acceleration wise... but those pistons won't get you the compression you want.

Knocking weight off, removes stresses, make it cheaper to balance, and can cut down on vibrations.
True on what you said for a lighter piston but not with TRW that are just as heavy and comp distance at 1.825 and a dish of 24.44 cc

I guess the question should be Can you feel the engine acceleration in the seat of your pants with a lighter piston ?? Anyone know that?
No. Forged pistons are stronger. We use them because they can handle more abuse. Sooner or later we have to spend money on stronger parts. Not because they make more power,but because they are less likely to break.

The TRW pistons aren't heavier,the wrist pins that come with them are to make the piston and wrist pin combination weigh the same as the factory combo. They do this so you can get away with replacing your factory pistons and pins without re-balancing. Use the factory wrist pins with the TRW's if you can,and that piston/pin combo will be lighter than the factory piston/pin combo.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what do factory pistons and pins weigh?

820.59 grams with rings. :)

20910-poll-what-piston-weighs-more-im001876.jpg

My .030" over cast pistons weighed 802.4. They are on stock 2 dot rods
with ARP 2000 rod bolts, being spun by a stock 229 crank. For some reason my crank was bad light when my machinist balanced
it. 99.85 grams out on the left side and 100.21 on the right. And no, the crank had not been previously ground or drilled on.

Curious what has been the opinion of the Wiseco pistons. Are they a good choice for a daily driver or are they more of a racing piston ? Looking for a good daily driver forged piston. What do you guys think ?
I posted this on your other thread about Wiseco pistons.

I would definitely use the wiseco pistons if the option is available to you. They use the same compression height as stock and are very quiet compared to others. I use Wiseco pistons in most of my builds where a custom piston is not needed. I offer them in all the rotating assemblies I sell . They are a quality piston and the price is right. Wiseco can keep the pricing low as they manufacture the complete piston in house. Other manufacturers need to source the forgings.

They are fine to be run everyday. You also get better piston ring choices over the stock pistons/TRW/speed pro. I have seen no issues or have received any complaints from customers using them. I have used them in my personal engines also and will be using them in my next TTA 109 build.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

I agree with Dave and if you plan on racing or making 100+hp per hole get a good set of wrist pins. Not the cheapies that come with the pistons. The price will let you know what wrist pins you're getting. If they are much less than $100 per piston then chances are you're wrist pins are sourced overseas. Fwiw the wrist pins in the trw forging in the pic Earl posted are not the same heavier pins that the old forgings came with. The old ones are very obvious and have a much smaller hole through them. Chances are they are a lighter over seas sourced pin also. I wouldn't be surprised at all if those catalog pistons all have the same exact pins.

BPE2013@hotmail.com