Wiseco Pistons

I Have used wiseco pistons in 8 or so engine builds I have personally done. All were turbo buicks except one that was the f2 procharged SBF in the mustang that made over 1ooo. We also are using them in the new N2O SBF build. Never had any issues with them and they are very easy to work with if you want to design and order you own custom piston. I like to spec my own stuff out so it works good for me. You can spec put stuff like ringland thickness, dome or dish thickness, cc's + or - that you want and so on. Of course they have some shelf pistons as well just make sure they are suited for turbo duty if you go that route.

I like them the .040 weiscos where lighter then my .030 trw
image.jpg

They are a good value piston, I had the 5120s cut for .004-5 below deck and 8.95-1 compression.

I have read the wrist pin is not strong enough to go all out on HP. I did not have that goal so the are perfect for my build.

Get the good wrist pins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My engine builder uses the wiseco pt pistons quite a bit. I have them in my v6 also with scat rods.

Attachments

• wiseco1.jpg
    wiseco1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 181
Not really sure how you would decide if one piston brand was better than another? The ones I have used from wiseco have been beat on pretty hard and worked well for me.

Piston design newb question: what are the vent holes in the face of the pistons for? Does it vent to the crankcase? What does this achieve?

Piston design newb question: what are the vent holes in the face of the pistons for? Does it vent to the crankcase? What does this achieve?
This set was designed to run piston rings with a much thinner and reduced radial tension ring that frees up frictional power losses and the ring conforms to the cylinder bore better...... The lesser overall weight of a ring like this reduces the tendency to flutter during the piston directional change going from up to down....... The holes you ask about are gas port assist holes that use the cylinder pressure to force the ring into the bore on the compression stroke to help the ring seal up better..... The holes only go into the the back side of the top ring land and in no way go to the crankcase.

This set was designed to run piston rings with a much thinner and reduced radial tension ring that frees up frictional power losses and the ring conforms to the cylinder bore better...... The lesser overall weight of a ring like this reduces the tendency to flutter during the piston directional change going from up to down....... The holes you ask about are gas port assist holes that use the cylinder pressure to force the ring into the bore on the compression stroke to help the ring seal up better..... The holes only go into the the back side of the top ring land and in no way go to the crankcase.
Thanks for the explanation. Would a design like this be used in a street / strip build or only race application? Are there longevity issues with this?

Thanks for the explanation. Would a design like this be used in a street / strip build or only race application? Are there longevity issues with this?
This is really geared more towards a race application with high rpm usage in mind, 8000+ with limited street use. We also will be using a vacuum pump to pull a negative pressure in the crankcase to help with oil control. Some of this technology has trickled down into todays current production performance engines. The piston and ring set-ups they use today are a lot different than 40 years ago.

Good post fastblack, referring to the post about the gas porting on street engines, I would never repeat never run this setup on a street setup or any other motor that wasn't going to be torn down at least after every season of racing.Heres what happens,the gas ports work great for sealing the rings against the cylinder wall on the compression stroke as fastblack said, and It definatley helps control ring flutter which basically is the ring fluttering up and down in the ring land and losing valuable compression pressure, right past the ring into the crankcase, and we all know that any air fuel that gets past rings and into the crankcase is that much air fuel that were not going to get to burn in the cylinder, and that equals less horsepower, and we cant have that because were all horsepower junkies.Now the reason I don't like this on a street engine, is if youre not going to be willing to pull the heads off engine quite often and clean these gas ports its basically useless. street engines produce a lot of carbon and that carbon will plug those holes, and if it plugs those holes on only one half of the piston, you have compression pressure on one side of the piston ring and not the other,and that's not a good thing. If you've torn down enough street engines we all know there is always tons of carbon buildup on top of piston,so not worth the time or extra money for street engine.Leave that up to the pros like fastblack and run youre setup with good pistons without the gas ports. just remember just because a pro stock runs a cam with .900 inches of lift ,doesn't mean its good for youre street thumper.