WkillGS- new guy intro

WkillGS

Project car collector
Hi guys, I'm a long time 79 Turbo Regal owner that finally decided to put her back on the road again. It's been hibernating behind a bunch of GS's in the back of my pole barn for, heck I don't know, maybe 15 years?
A quick history:
I bought it in 1986 and did a hi-po rebuild and had it running a best of a 14.1 with stock turbo and Q-jet. Pretty good for the day....it got noticed at a GN meet at Englishtown and got featured in a 1988 issue of Supercar. Hi boost and street gas eventually took it's toll in the way of recessed valves and deformed ring lands on the forged TRW's. Around that time, I found a few more GS's and concentrated on restoring those.
Now I'm wanting a occasional hp driver that isn't a collectable musclecar like a GS that I'm afraid to leave alone in a parking lot!
This time around, I'm just gonna put an 84 short block together with forged pistons, old GSCA cam and ported heads. Trying to do it cheap just to have a nice street runner..... but knowing me, I'll get carried away.... I always wanted to try a blow-thru 4bbl with an intercooler. hmmmm....
Oh yeah...been driving some older Saab 900 turbos for a while now to satisfy my turbo fix. The Saabs have a great turbo control system called the APC...Automatic Pressure Control. Basically uses a knock sensor and control box to adjust the max boost of the turbo. You can adjust how fast and hard the turbo builds boost....had to tone mine down as it kept breaking the tires loose when the boost hit.....that's fun even with only 4 cylinders!
That system would be awesome on a TR.....
Until later...

Hi Walt Welcome to the site! Also Nice to see a fellow Nailhead member from the Yahoo Nailhead Group too. Didn't know you were so close to me in PA also.

Welcome aboard Walt. We've been trying to change the image of the early cars lately so you may want to do some reading up on here. Click on the second link in my sig to get a better idea for a better turbo. I hope you stick around and add your input since you've been running one of these cars for a while. We need all the help we can get to change the position of these cars in the view of the general public.

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Yeah, I have lots of reading to catch up on. Good stuff here!

Couple of pics from when it was in it's prime around 1990.
Regal2_640x395.jpg

Regal1.jpg

Regal3_640x323.jpg

It's been garage kept since then so it's still in great shape...
The '84 engine rebuild for it is my winter project.
When that is done, it's basically a drop-it-in-and-go deal.... unless I get carried away with mods.:cool:
-I've had a mint 86 GN turbocharger since about 1988, and now I have a $45 E-brock 4bbl intake on the way.....you can guess when this is headed.:tongue:

Regal Looks super Walt!
I like the subtle blackout trim.
Where about in PA are you? I keep finding people on the forum closer and closer to myself.

Thanks. I like silver ... picked up a silver 66 GS 4 spd car a few years ago, so now they'll match:cool:
I'm in eastern Pa, north of Philly. Just a few miles from Kirban Performance. I've gone to a few of his meets...took my blue '66 GS last time. When they set up for the group picture, he asked me to move my 66 out of the picture. wth.

Your sport coupe is bad ass. I'm gonna die if I don't see more pics of it and the silver 66 gs

Welcome! Awesome sport coupe! Did you paint the aluminum Buick plate(above the grill) or is that just from the sunlight? The blackout trim is cool:cool: And you have rear bumper filler!:eek: One of very few that does... lucky:biggrin: