Wobbling crank pulley

6 to go

Things I learned on the way to somewhere else. Bolts in the crank pulley that are too long
and bottoming out in the balancer before tightening on the pulley WILL cause the pulley to wobble.
Now after I have chased my tail for 2 weeks chasing new pulleys, balancer, I find out all
that I need is new bolts! ARRGH!!!!!!!! Oh well, could have been worse, so I just lived and learned
and now can start over! Hope you guys have a nice day.

Sorry to hear Mark... We all have RE INVENTED the wheel working on our cars;)

Last edited:
Were the wrong length bolts installed by you or a previous owner? Reason I ask is I find it hard to believe that the wrong length bolts could actually be torqued down/tightened properly if they could not be properly seated.

Any way I'm glad to hear you finally found the problem, happy boosting. :)

Were the wrong length bolts installed by you or a previous owner? Reason I ask is I find it hard to believe that the wrong length bolts could actually be torqued down/tightened properly if they could not be properly seated.

Any way I'm glad to hear you finally found the problem, happy boosting. :)
Yes, a too long bolt will bottom out and torque OK, but not be seated. In this case, the gap
was so small as to be barely discernible. I did not personally torque the bolts, so this is
an assumption. I did check for seating after the fact, and found the problem and did not
go further - I just got shorter grade 8 bolts. Problem solved. Life is good now!