Won't shift out of gear

Blackcar

I have just performed the annual "spring cleaning" on 87 GN, when to my dismay, after buttoning up trans pan; I discovered not only the shifter handle was broken but the trans wouldn't shift out of gear, (not engaging other gears even when handle was out of Park position!)? Now, when the throttle return?? detent(or whatever it is that is to the side of shifter detent) has the pin pulled out, I can engage the gears?!! Another variable at work here is, the car hasn't been driven for awhile as I "repaired" a jam in the lock cylinder actuation rod on the steering column, (the rod was being caught on the shroud's interior tabs) could this be connected? I did remove the pan and inspect filter position, appears fine. Strangely, the pan and detent bracket each had a bolt missing. Any ideas, suggestions, or help would be appreciated!

What pin on the detent are talking about that you pulled? If it's the solid rod on the drivers side of the tranny, that is your shift linkage and if it's not moving when you move the shift lever on the column, then you must have disconnected something.

Shift linkage

The pin I pulled was a cotter pin keeping the linkage on the rod next to,(by the side of) the shift cable detent going into side of trans. I beleive this goes back up to steering column?? Also car is a console shifted vehicle, thanks for your attention!

If you can move your shift lever and the the manual shift rod which is what you removed the cotter pin from doen't move with the cotter pin reinstalled, I'd say you shift cable is broke or disconnected somewhere.