WOOOHOOOO It lives!!!!

jason85ttype

Hey guys got the old girl running this morning.Car ran like crap and wouldnt idle so i unplugged mass air and it idles perfect.Has a little stutter in it.Guessing from mass air being unhooked.Trans shifts great turbo spools car is smoking but its clearing up.Previous owner had it all screwed up.It rides real nice and is pretty fast for being stock.I know she would take a stock stang..I think its time for some add ons...Anyone got anything..I'm looking for dual exhaust for it..It has the duals going into a single.Im guessing its stock.I have some 30lbs injectors on there way.Alredy have a 255 need the hotwire kit.Then I guess ill get a chip for it..Thanks for all the help guys.I'm really on cloud nine..
Jason

I also need mass air and a cold air setup and adjustable fuel reg..Not looking to go tens but 12's would be nice...

you a long ways away from 12's. anyways i wouldnt be running the car around with the MAF un-pluged. i have a MAF but i can get to it for about 3 weeks. someone is sure to have one. get a MAF on the car before you break something

I'm looking for dual exhaust for it..It has the duals going into a single.Im guessing its stock.....Jason

How is it running without a maf ?

You cannot have true dual exhaust, all the exhaust gasses must go through the turbo. Thats why the drivers side header crosses over into the pass side header. There are exhaust upgrades like bigger downpipes(if you can find one), high flow cats or gutting your cat if not worried about inspection, and a minimum of 2 1/2 dual cat back exhaust system with a high flow muffler.

I would move your ecm conversion and 87 maf to the top of your list, and on the second line on that list would be a scan tool. You have to make sure everything is working properly.

Unplugging it was the only way to get it running right.I read somthing about a lt1 meter working or is that to much of a hassle?I drove it maybe an 8th of a mile..I was just really glad it runs..Thanks for the input on not driving it..I'm guessing that the computer would not read the air coming in??
Thanks boost231

It actually runs decent without mass air..What would i gain by upgrading the ecm??I'm just looking for a quick cruiser..I guess it runs ok.Like i said before im a former mustang guy.This was the first buick i drove..It seemed to have plenty of power.Only really ran it out in second gear..I was looking at 2.5 duals and a set of dynomax bullets..Gutted the cat today..

..What would i gain by upgrading the ecm??I'm just looking for a quick cruiser..I guess it runs ok...

You can put a better chip in it. Although Eric from Turbo Tweak can make a chip for an 84/85 ecm the chip has limited capabilities as compared to a chip in an 87 ecm. With the 87 ecm you can use a Power Logger or Direct Scan and as your scan tool, plus a Scan Master, these will not work with an 84/85 ecm. All you can use on an 84/85 ecm is Turbo Link or an OTC 4000 which really can't be compared to the others.
I would not waste money on a scan tool for the stock ecm, put it towards your conversion and a good scan tool. .02

like posted above the 87 ecm should be on top of the list. you need a good scan tool and you will need a 87 ecm for that. The powerlogger so also be on the top of the list. this is by far the best scan tool out. As far as exhaust try Jack Cotton.

Unplugging it was the only way to get it running right.I read somthing about a lt1 meter working or is that to much of a hassle?I drove it maybe an 8th of a mile..I was just really glad it runs..Thanks for the input on not driving it..I'm guessing that the computer would not read the air coming in??
Thanks boost231

you hit the nail on the head. dont drive it but you can let it idle with it unpluged. But do not get into boost without one.

you need to change the MAF to an 87 Unit and get a MAT sensor and wire and run it to the ecm. very simple. you need to replace your maf anyways so why not. as far as the MAT sensor and wiring you can get that cheap from Caspers Electronics, Inc.

You should upgrade to an LT1 3" mass air flow sensor, and buy an MAF Translator from fullthrottlespeed.com. Its a sweet setup. Ive never bought a reman or new regular MAF that ever worked right, but maybe youll be more lucky. They even make a chip that works with the MAF Translator.

Youll also need to install an MAT sensor like Boost231 said if you want to run the 87 ECM.

Theres no need for a LT1 mass air flow or a MAF translator. Start with a Stock 87 MAF and you will be good to go.

You can get an ecm at the junkyard for cheap, I got mine for $15.00. Here is a link that lists all the 87 GM 3.8l fwd's that use the 1227148 ecm.84 chip? - TurboBuicks.com Just keep looking, if not you can buy one on the boards for 3-4 times that.

You do not have to put in the MAT (manifold air temp) sensor either. Eric can burn your chip so it won't use it and won't throw any codes. Just let him know, thats what I did. My theory is if it was something important used by the chip Eric would never disable it in the first place. On his older 5.5 chips the mat was needed and used to adjust your fueling and timing in the programming mode. On his new current 5.6 you use the gas pedal to make your chip adjustments not the mat. It's your decision.

thats cool i didnt know eric could disable that feature.i thought the car would run better knowing the actual inlet air temp. i like to run one because i like to know what my IAT is and what my intake AIR Temp is. This is for data logging. i know eric has removed the EGR and Wastegate features on mine.

Theres no need for a LT1 mass air flow or a MAF translator. Start with a Stock 87 MAF and you will be good to go.

I never said he NEEDED it, i said he SHOULD upgrade to it. big difference. :mad: Stock 87 maf will work fine, yes, but a theyre a little hard to come by; ive had bad luck with them myself, which is why i switched. but to each his/her own.

Sorry there correction, he shouldn't upgrade to a LT1 mass air flow and translator. Those parts alone are going to cost you over 300 bucks and for what? There are alot of 87 MAF on the board that you can pick up cheap ($50) in good working order. Just trying to save him some money. Anyways good luck and send me a PM if you need anything.

jason85ttype,

Are you sure you didn't install the MAF backwards? There's usually an arrow on it indicating airflow. Make sure you installed it correctly.