work problem due to army national guard

TurboGTA

I work at a juvenile center,treatment/punishment for bad kiddies

its a private company and runs 24/7

I've worked there for 2 yrs and never had a weekend off-days off were always wed thurs or monday tuesday

I work in the bootcamp program

so I get this memo that states because of my involvement in the guards I will be transferred to another barracks

I am losing seniority with this transfer -so the friday saturday days off that I just got a few weeks ago are gone and there are many other things I lost with the seniority

I've tried talking it over with management and they are now saying they transferred me for other reasons and not because of the guard duty

I have the letter that says otherwise

I called esgr (employer support for guards & reserves) & got the number for dept of labor-everyone I talked to say I have a case if I want to push it

this has really upset me and I haven't been able to sleep

I feel I'm being punished just for being in the military

should I pursue action with dept of labor and esgr ?

yes I'm job hunting

I am in the NCNG and work for them full time. I will help you out a little. You can leave it alone and take it up the back side or you can go to management and let them know in a very nice way that since you have a letter stating that you were move because of your Nation Guard duties that they can either fix the problem or you could sue and own the company they you work for. This is a very easy case to win. In NC someone had the same problem and now his old boss works for him. Around my neck of the woods they do not play that game and it should be the same way there. I had a problem with Wal-Mart until I let them know in a not so nice way that I would go straight to EEO which is what you should do.......... I hate hearing this type of stuff.............

SUE I say SUE

You can bet that your facility is ultimately funded with Federal dollars. They will be highly motivated to "accomodate" you on this, once they realize they screwed up by breaking federal laws. You shold keep your seniority and they should accomodate your Guard schedule.

The longer you wait the harder it'll be on you. The longer you wait, the bolder they'll get about the issue. My son had the same problem....He went in, and behind closed doors, told the big boss that the next time it happened, he'd have his boss's job....There was not ever another word said, and the harrassment about the high calling of the National Guard stopped immediately.

There are people in your Guard unit who can help you, its their job. Use your chain of command. They will have a "come to jesus" meeting with your company on your behalf....that means lawsuit.

Be smart in whatever you do. Don't make it personal. Don't get out of control. They are breaking the law!!! Call them on it ;)

Call the STARC for your state and ask to speak to the JAG..... This is what he gets paid for. You can use him for anything military related for free. I will post beck with the number as soon as I find it. You are in PA right?

This is the number to the PA JAG office (717) 861-8891. Call and tell them the problem and ask for help and advice.

Do play around and wait. DO it now.

great info guys

thanks for the info

more info on the subject--the letter states that because there are 4 staff members in my barracks (job site) who are in the reserves or guards to cut down on overtime they transferred me

but I have more seniority than 2 of the other guys but they are keeping them

had a meeting with the supervisors and now they are saying that the supervisor in my new barracks picked me because of my job performance to make his team stronger

they are trying to change there story

I have contacted esgr (employer support for the guard & reserves ) and after talking to the top guy at the dept of labor I'm pretty sure I can win this

I have to send copies of the letter and other things to the dept of labor lawyer

he (the Lawyer mentioned the human resource dept and I explained that they don't know whats going on,the supervisors do whatever they want

should be interisting, everytime I've mentioned esgr and dept of labor the management say oh you have every right to and we will deal with it when it happens--they say this very low key

gotta make more phone calls

keep the info coming

thanks guys--I haven't slept good since this crap started after hearing the encouraging news I will sleep better now

Check the facts on their story that you were "hand picked" to "fortify" a work team in the organization with a legitimate need.

If its true, you may be digging a hole that you don't want to finish. When you speak to the JAG representative, be sure you tell them every detail you can....Including their new explaination(s).

The law is on the side of the Guardmember. You can always fall back on that fact. If there is more of a future for you in the new placement, you may choose to stay there (with an accomodation for your seniority and work schedule) and not call in the big dogs to fight for you. Choose your fights wisely, make SURE what is best for you ;)

Lee Burough, LTCOL, USAF, (retired) :cool:

they are full of crap

a month earlier I went up for a promotion in the new barracks and lost to a female with no military and less seniority than I have with the company

they hire a few new guys who are buddy buddy with the supervisors and there you have it I was in the way of the new guy so I got the shaft and told to move

I'm already on the crap list just for sticking up for myself so I might as well go all the way

I'm not trying to talk you into/outof anything, just encouraging yu to have your ducks in a row (in military terms its "getting your sh$t in one bag"). That way you give the Gov't prosecutors a strong hand to play when the time comes.

Keep a journal with dates, times and the people involved. Go back and reconstruct whatyou can. I've seen details like these topple several unfair people in time, it can work for you too. :)

working on it

I have the night shift supervisors on my side,they are getting me everyone's start dates

all comes down to the letter and what I lost out of the transfer

I've never seen people like this, they promote their buddy's and screw over everyone else

Re: working on it

Originally posted by TurboGTA
I've never seen people like this, they promote their buddy's and screw over everyone else

That's about all I've ever seen. Like said, document absolutely everything. Word for word, times, dates, names. If nothing else, consider this being buildling a future case. Regardless of the outcome here, people like this like to come up with other reasons to let someone go once everything cools down. Beware any upcoming BIG promotions, more than you feel you deserve. Promoting to the level of incompetance is an old tactic by people like this. Put you where you don't know enough, and then fire you for poor "performance". Very common. Time to be defensive so you can later be offensive.

Sorry you're going through this, makes life very difficult to live. It IS total BS, so go get 'em and don't look back.