WOT shift too high

Tom87GNX

Sorry for starting a new post (I'm sure there's a 1,000 already)

I just installed another trans in my 85T, I replaced all the normal items (front seal, rear seal, filter and pan gasket) also installed a superior super servo. After setting the TV cable and getting it fine tuned I decided to give it a WOT blast, at this point I realized I had an issue. All shifts are nice and firm at lower and mid throttle angles however WOT will not shift unless I left off the gas a little bit. This was around 55-5600 rpm which is too high. I believe I may have a governor issue or maybe the spring has popped off. Has anyone had this experience and found this to be the problem. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Tom

Do you know what governor you are using? Is it one with the one spring or one with the spring on each side? What about the valve body? Any markings to identify it?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It's a BQ trans with the original matching valve body and governor. Only part changed was the original 692 servo was replaced with a superior super servo

Was it shifting at a lower rpm before the servo install?
Vb might have been fooled with before you got it. The no yo yo kit seems to cause probs or at least I have read that.

The trans is factory untouched, with stock D5 converter. The trans has under 60K original and was out of my fathers car. The pan has never been off until I removed it.

I just installed this trans, it's been out of the original car and in storage for a couple years, but never had issues before.

Like stated before I only replaced the front and rear seals, replaced filter and gasket and servo. Filter is in correctly and I verify old seal came out, added one additional quart of fluid above full mark. Works perfectly exempt at WOR

Might have a sticky valve or two in the valve body. Maybe driving it will free em up. Sitting cast iron tends to rust. Or maybe drop the pan and see what you find, could be a spring and ball in there from the governor. Did you pull the governor cover for inspection before install?

I spoke with Lonnie at extreme automatics earlier today. He believes from my description that it could very well be a governor and or spring issue. The TV cable is def not the cause, it's set right on the money and changing setting in either direction warrants poor shift quality or no shifts. I'm just going to pull the gov and see what I find.

Sorry for starting a new post (I'm sure there's a 1,000 already)

I just installed another trans in my 85T, I replaced all the normal items (front seal, rear seal, filter and pan gasket) also installed a superior super servo. After setting the TV cable and getting it fine tuned I decided to give it a WOT blast, at this point I realized I had an issue. All shifts are nice and firm at lower and mid throttle angles however WOT will not shift unless I left off the gas a little bit. This was around 55-5600 rpm which is too high. I believe I may have a governor issue or maybe the spring has popped off. Has anyone had this experience and found this to be the problem. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Tom

Hey Tom, I would remove the governor and disassemble it. There are 2 check balls upon disassembly, you will need to inspect the seat of each check ball location and make sure they are square. Any wear, you will need to change the governor shaft. I would change the cover gasket and the governor seal on end of the shaft either way. Torque the bolts to 200 inch pounds upon assembly.

While apart, it would be a good idea to install a set screw for spring retention so the spring cannot come out during quick speed changes of the driveshaft. I can help you with any of this if you run into problems.

Thanks Dave, I will probably be disassembling it in a day or two. I can't seem to track down gov springs, any idea where I could get them?

Progress update

I've corrected my trans problems with a little help from Dave Husek, turns out I didn't have the correct clearances for the super servo to function correctly. I ended up installing the factory 692 servo (for now) and the trans shifts perfectly and on the money every time. I will be adding a better servo again soon but happy it's working fine now. Thanks again for everyone's input and thanks to Dave Husek for the tech info and help with troubleshooting.

Great you got it working. Care to elaborate on why the big servo won't work? TIA

It's not that it doesn't work as much as I didn't really set it up properly. The superior servo doesn't use the 2-3 piston like other aftermarket servos, but it doesn't include a spacer so you must shim the 1-2 piston and also (at least on mine) the cushion spring. This caused the 1-2 piston to be too far into the servo cavity which was causing the trans to start in second gear, and not shift if put into first manually.

I simply just removed the superior servo, and reinstalled the complete factory 692 assembly and it works fine. The shifts are as expected from a nice non beat to death BQ trans but could be firmer. Maybe I'll swap in a 694 servo instead

Last edited: