Would you consider a Turbo Buick as a muscle car?

Would you consider a Turbo Buick as a muscle car?

• Yes

Votes: 131 97.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
no doubt a factory installed turbocharged Buick 3.8 in the 80's Monte SS's would have made a nice car, but I always thought GM *should* have put the Z28's TPI 350 in the Monte SS's from the factory. IMO, that would have been more consistant with their product offering for the time.

TPI 350 would of worked well too.

I used to be of the mind set that if it wasn't a 2 door SB or BB V8 car built between 1963 and 1970...then it wasn't a muscle car.

I've expanded my thinking in recent years cuz cars coming off the factory lines these days would flat out smoke what was coming out in the 60's.

The average 60's muscle car was a 15-14 second car. There were some special build low volume runs of various cars (like GM's COPO Camaro's, Chevelles and Nova's) that were made in order to qualify for factory racing that could break into the 13's and even 12's on polyglass tires, but for the most part, the production muscle cars cars were mostly 15 second rides and rarely broke the 14.0 mark off the factory line. Volume production exceptions included cars like the Z/28's and LS6 Chevelles that could get into the high 13's with good tires and technique.

As far as weight goes, many of them were not that heavy. My 68 Camaro with a big block comes in just over 3400lbs. Compare that to the current Mustang GTs that weigh in right around 4000 lbs. Even the Subaru WRX weighs in at over 3200lbs.

I definitely consider the Turbo Buicks of the 80's, muscle cars.

To me, muscle cars are cars that I saw making noise and hauling ass while I grew up.

Cars built prior to that are for old men that have a lot of money, wax for their paint jobs, and no more guts. I seldom saw 60s cars street racing.

To me a Turbo Buick most certainly is a muscle car.. but when I really think of a muscle car the first thing I think of is a 5.0 notchback foxbody. It's what I most commonly saw racing, and has left an indelible print on my memory from those good times back home.

I would say that after you have outrun several of the "catagorized" muscle cars, that you definitely have more muscle. So I'd vote for calling our cars "Muscle Cars", even though it is a more modern rendition. I hear a lot of comments like, "Man that thing is fast for a big car" and "What the he__ you got in that thing?" after I hand some dude in a Mustang or Camaro his ass.
Love to drive my Regal.

Musclecar!!!

I wouldnt call it anything less than a musclecar. I can think back when these cars first came out, being amazed at how easily they walked all over the musclecars and thaught to myself, "I HAVe to have one of those!!!" Even to this day, if you pull up to a show, or the track, even street racing, these cars get instant respect just for their namesake and what they can do. Everyone who knows cars, knows a Turbo Buick IS a musclecar!!! And, being that they are 20+ years old, are they still a "modern" muscle car? I'd just say musclecar.

427 Cobra of the 1980's !!! only thing better is that you could drive the Buick more and it had all sorts of "comfort" junk .... like window's :p

Clearly a muscle car. I remember when these cars came out, they suffered from an identity crisis because the were a Buick and 6 cylinder powered. I think we have earned our muscle car status.

Just look at mine and just about everyones signature on this board. How many "musclecars" can run these numbers and still drive around like cadillacs. Maybe more of a "modern" musclecar but still in my opinion the best muscle car period! Not to mention the so called "modern" part is still over 20 years old and was just one away from number one in the showdown. I am almost 39 years young and have owned, driven and ridden in just about every car imaginable and although some of the other musclecars are appealing i wouldn't trade my buicks for any of them. Although adding some new and different breeds are not out of the question if that lottery ever comes through

Just look at mine and just about everyones signature on this board. How many "musclecars" can run these numbers and still drive around like cadillacs. Maybe more of a "modern" musclecar but still in my opinion the best muscle car period! Not to mention the so called "modern" part is still over 20 years old and was just one away from number one in the showdown. I am almost 39 years young and have owned, driven and ridden in just about every car imaginable and although some of the other musclecars are appealing i wouldn't trade my buicks for any of them. Although adding some new and different breeds are not out of the question if that lottery ever comes through

You have alot of good points, i never really gave it much thought when saying it was a modern muscle car, and in the same breath, saying it was 20 years old.
These cars are fast and have alot of qualities of a muscle car, but then again they do handle like a caddy, I LIKE IT.

Maybe "modern muscle car" is the correct term because its fast/ faster than the old muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's, but under the hood it has technology that wasnt used on MOST GM cars till 10 years later.

I have to give the engineers a big high 5 for making these cars what they were 20 years ago, and another for making them last as long as they have while i beat on it every single day!
BW