Xfi 2 step ?

434nova

How would I wire the xfi so I can enable the 2 step function ? Also why do I see people running an external 2 step if the xfi has a built in 2 step setup?

Depends what coil pack setup you're using.

With a stock coil setup you can get the black box from Cal hartline and use the xfi 2 step.

With the tr6 you need cal's black box and update to the current tr6 software so it will work or just use the tr6 box 2step

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Depends what coil pack setup you're using.

With a stock coil setup you can get the black box from Cal hartline and use the xfi 2 step.

With the tr6 you need cal's black box and update to the current tr6 software so it will work or just use the tr6 box 2step

Interesting, I am using the factory coils. I was reading some info on how to hook up the xfi 2step and it was saying to hook up a activation switch to the clutch switch. I can't find that black box on cal's website.

Call them they have it and it's like 100 bucks. Plug and play and unlocks everything in the xfi

Other advantages to doing it through xfi is it will disable closed loop while activated and if youre using an edash you can adjust it from the touch screen display which is handy. If youre running a hotwire harness to your coil you will have to do a little additional wiring, and if youre running alky you may want to wire in a relay normally closed to open while 2 step is activated so youre not spraying when the boost rises past your alky turn on point.

and if youre running alky you may want to wire in a relay normally closed to open while 2 step is activated so youre not spraying when the boost rises past your alky turn on point.
Help me out and let me jump in on this for a second.

Why do we want to totally deactivate alky when in 2-step?

So let me get this strait................

When not in 2-step, you are building boost normally on all 6 cylinders. So the actual AF is a reflection of the combined combustion of fuel and alky. Now, assuming the tune is good in the "boost building" areas of the VE map, there should be little to no correction to the fuel. Right?

Now in a launch situation, we activate the 2-step. Cylinders will randomly be cut. Raw fuel, alky, and uncombined oxygen will be spilling into the exhaust stream messing up all the AF readings. But now we also deactivate correction in these same "boost building" VE cells. So, in theory, the cylinders that fire are still getting exactly what they need as far as fuel and alky. Right?

So why take alky out of the mix? If the XFI is using only it's VE number to fuel the motor, and this number represents the presumed presents of alky, wouldn't it be going lean during 2-step?

Last edited:
My thought was to keep the cylinder washing to a minimum, the correction goes into open loop while 2 step is active so it really doesnt matter what the a/f is. Ive noticed it responds crisper and cleaner when releasing the 2 step if its not drowning in unburnt alky. Could be my imagination, im no expert.

the correction goes into open loop while 2 step is active so it really doesnt matter what the a/f is

Open or not open loop.... the goal is to have the AF correct anyway, and it very much matters. At least to me!

If the VE number is right, then it should be very close. And if it was close with the alky involved, and now it's not, then now it's lean. How much? Maybe 20 percent, depending on how much alky was being used when the tune was created.

I know we don't normally sit on the 2-step for hours at a time. So I see your point about a crisper power response after disengagement of the 2-step. But doesn't that raw fuel, alky and oxygen get thrown out into the headers and then expand and burn to help spool-up?

As far as washing down the cylinders is concerned, makes sense I guess. But is that all there is to it?

Of course, we can change the VE numbers for a race only tune to be saved and used at the track. But what fun is that? Drive it, race it, drive it home.