XFI Newbie: random questions

turbo96max

Hey guys,

Im going to transition to XFi :

Ill probably have many questions but for now im wondering about the MAP sensor connector on the Caspers Jump box. I already have caspers tps 5v map sensor kit . DO i need to run a second map sensor on the XFI box or does the adapter box already feed the xfi the signal from the in engine bay 3 bar map?

thanks for the help :)

They sell a jump harness that grabs 5v from the tps connector and has a new signal wire routed back into the ECM /logger. I guess I could just tie that signal wire into the xfi map signal pin/wire ?

I'm still not sure what that does. But I do know you are going to need a 3 bar map. The Casper's harness is almost a plug and play. You will have to run some additional wires out for certain things, like the wide band, and I believe a few other 5 volt reference stuff. It's been a long time since I did the swap to aftermarket engine management. Either way, it's not a big deal.

The factory ECM does not use the stock MAP signal at all since the fuel control is MAF based. The factory MAP sensor is solely used for the dash boost gauge (bar graph). If you have a digital dash, you won't even have a MAP sensor in the car. So, what was normally the MAF input signal on the factory wire harness, will now be used for the MAP signal. The fore mentioned adapter does two things: It provides for an underhood jumper from the dashboard MAP signal to the MAF connector/wire in the harness and it also provides a ground and 5V reference signal from the ECU (jumpered from TPS) to the MAP sensor that either doesn't exist in a digital dash car or it will power the existing MAP with clean power and ground from the ECU which is normally powered and grounded through the dash. The TPS jumper is the easiest way to do all this but I prefer to make all these connections under the dash (behind glove box) where the dash harness and the engine harness are in close proximity to each other. It's more work but cleaner under the hood.

If you have not purchased your XFI yet I would Call Cal Hartline and buy it from him. Trust me he will make it easy for you.

Cal, I finally tracked down some of your old commercials on youtube. Here is a montage of early ones:
How is Spot doing these days? :LOL:

(I spent the 80's in southern CA and in the days before informercials these were the late night entertainment on one of the independent TV stations in LA. :LOL::LOL::LOL:)

Turbo96max, make sure you look at the support and tuning and accessories (wiring harness, O2 sensor, map sensor, injectors, etc.) that comes with an aftermarket ecm purchase, not just the price of the box. Experience with cars like yours is foremost, so there won't be any gotcha's or forgotten bits or "oh, you needed ecm model xxx for an even fire V6 with a cam sensor, that one is for v8's with distributors". If you need a lot of in-person training or post-installation tuning then finding someone close may be the best idea. If your chosen installer/tuner is across the country, often you can meet up at some race or dyno event and save on travel costs. Welcome to the dark side!

appreciate the help guys, i left Holly a voicemail to purchase the support. In the meantime in trying to run the wiring and set this thing up. I found that AUX PINs C 12 (A-fuel pressure default) and C 13 (B- oil pressure default) are not empty on the caspers adapter box. Which confuses me. according to the documentation these are now in 2.0 the defaults for aux inputs for fuel and oil pressure, i was going to add them in there for my electric sending units before the install but they already have pins on the jumper harness.

C 11,12,13 ,20(map),21(tps),22 (ats) are being used on the jump harness

can someone confirm this diagram is correct:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/xfi_ecu_operationmanual.pdf

I am at the Radial race in south Georgia. I'll send you a pm with my cell phone number. Call me tomorrow

Ah seem the caspers box #108112 is using the EGR unused wires to reach those AUX ports for logging fuel and oil . NICE!

The safest way to get a quality MAP signal is to start with a quality MAP sensor. Using an AEM style threaded directly into the manifold works very well. Then use a small harness to connect the MAP to the connector at the XFI. Additionally a breakout can be added to the signal wire at the connector at the jumper box to give a reliable signal to a progressive alky controller. This eliminates some connections with the only added drawback having to run the wires out to the engine compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soooo close, but so far. got the car to want to start just doesnt. its like so close. Im sending the info to Holly but If i get this thing started before loading Cals initial file I would really feel amazing/accomplished and awesome lol I think it could be timing related or the initial cranking fuel settings. anyone available for input? running 2.05

what are you guys running or recommend on the ignition parameters:
running e85 120# injectors
current btdc: 10.00
USec: 96
fixed timing test advance disables 30.00
radio button : buick oem dis ingition

fuel calc:
displacement :231
map: 3 bar
6 cyls
flow rate: 120
target psi; 45
fuel energy constat: 1.000
not checking Fp correct or flex fuel mode

firing order sync:
cam sync precedes cyl: 1
firing order: 165432

soooo close, but so far. got the car to want to start just doesnt. its like so close. Im sending the info to Holly but If i get this thing started before loading Cals initial file I would really feel amazing/accomplished and awesome lol I think it could be timing related or the initial cranking fuel settings. anyone available for input? running 2.05

what are you guys running or recommend on the ignition parameters:
running e85 120# injectors
current btdc: 10.00
USec: 96
fixed timing test advance disables 30.00
radio button : buick oem dis ingition

fuel calc:
displacement :231
map: 3 bar
6 cyls
flow rate: 120
target psi; 45
fuel energy constat: 1.000
not checking Fp correct or flex fuel mode

firing order sync:
cam sync precedes cyl: 1
firing order: 165432
Are your targets for gasoline? The FEC for E85 is .65-.75 typically out of gas pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got cal to help me w a base tune. Seems I may have a gremlin. Of course nothing is ever easy. Can anyone see if the led lights on the unit should be light up the way they are. On the YouTube link please. Car starts w starter fluid lol but won't stay alive without it. Seems like 2-3 cyls want to go while others don't.

Got cal to help me w a base tune. Seems I may have a gremlin. Of course nothing is ever easy. Can anyone see if the led lights on the unit should be light up the way they are. On the YouTube link please. Car starts w starter fluid lol but won't stay alive without it. Seems like 2-3 cyls want to go while others don't.

If you changed the FEC to an E-85 number, that doesn't change the cranking fuel amount. That is done on pure injector pulse width. Try adding about 30-35 percent more by pulling up on the graph.

Do the LEDs look correct for the injectors? Not sure if all 8 should be firing since its a 6 cyl application.