Yellow C5 Vette Convertible

Epitome

Staff member
Ok, no BS flags, it's just a good week :) I went to the usual big gathering of cars on Wednesday nights at the Bear Mtn Inn here in NY. I wanted to race this guy with a heads/cam/blower/rollbar 2001 Camaro, but the guy said he just had some work done that wasn't finished so he didn't want to romp on it. I believed him and he agreed we'd go at it in a few weeks. Before I brought up racing I heard him say the car had gone 121mph in the 1/4 and should be capable of high 10s when done. I'll update you guys on that one. I stayed around long after most of the cars had left talking to this college kid about his 2000 Camaro and what a bargain it was. When I finally decided to go the place was empty except for a few cars all the way up front that were watching cartoons on a big screen. I started my car and let it warm up a little when....wouldn't you know....a guy up front starts up a yellow C5 Corvette convertible :) I wait a little while and follow him out, really thinking he would never go for even a little playing because he was going so slow and babying it. We pull up to a red light (me behind him in a single lane) and when it goes green he nails it for about 3 seconds and lets off. Maybe I was wrong? I follow him onto the parkway and immediately pull up next to him in second gear, but he didn't seem to want to do anything so I just cruised on by easy and thought I'd call it a night. A few seconds later he starts flashing his high beams on and off and he pops out in the left lane so I slow down and wait for him. I'm not sure why he changed his mind, but I'm happy to wait there for him in 2nd gear at 30 mph. He pulls up next to me and as usual, we are both waiting for the other to go first. Finally he hammers it and I walk on by quite easily. I get about 3-4 cars ahead and realize a slight curve is coming up so I let off. I get into the turn and suddenly realize by the way the car is reacting that I forgot to put air back in my drag radials....they are only at 14lbs :eek: The car got a little wiggy, but I had it under control (I won't do that again). He let me stay ahead and when he went to exit behind me he flashed his high beams on and off a couple of times to say "nice race". I tapped my brake a few times to agree and we parted ways. I'm sure I'll see him next week, glad to see he had some class. I'mm gonna go put some air back in my tires. When I cruise around I drive so slowly that I didn't even notice :)

Nice kill

It sounds like where ever you live there's a lot of nice cars and guys willing to race which is cool:cool: Most of the Vette guys I run into down here are cocky bastards that won't race and even worst most of them can't drive those $40k cars:eek: The 2001 ls1 camaro you plan on racing should be a good race with all the stuff he has (heads/cam/blower), but that's if he's able to get traction. :D :)