Yep another turbo size question

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Kicking around the idea of getting a new turbo, due to such good deals right now. Santa wasn't very good to me :frown: so I might have to take matters in my own hand.

I have a 206/206 roller cam with a 3000 stall converter, 42.5 injectors. Wondering what turbo would be best?

Thinking PT54 or TE61,your thoughts? End goal: solid mid/low 11 car with a lil room to grow. Obviously that would require bigger injectors too. Thanks!

Two options that really come to mind are these,
PT6152 (E or S compressor cover)
PT6176R (Also available E or S cover)
Both made by Precision.
The 6152 is a non ball bearing turbo with a 61mm compressor wheel and the T350 turbine wheel. This turbo will support up to 630 flywheel hp when pushed and will easily push your combo into the mid to low 11's with the right sized injectors. (50-65# High Imp) The E cover has a 3" inlet, 2" discharge and is the same style comp cover that comes on a TE-44 turbo. The S cover has a 4" inlet and a 2.5" discharge.

The PT6176R has a dual ball bearing center section that is oil fed and water cooled. You will have to run water lines to this ball bearing turbo. It has the same 61mm compressor wheel but has a 76 P-trim turbine wheel. This turbo will support up to 680 flywheel hp when pushed and likes to be paired up with the 65# high imp injectors. Same compressor covers are available. Not many people know about this turbo because it was never really introduced to the Buick crowd, but it has worked extremely well on import and some small V8 applications.
Either one would work great, it would be easier to reach low 11's with the 6176R than with the 6152 due too having a larger turbine wheel. The 6152 would have to be pushed to around 24-27psi where as the 6176R should get to low 11's with 23-26psi. I would suggest the S cover no matter which you choose for cooler charge temps at higher boost levels. Also, the S cover has a different bolt pattern for the wastegate actuator. Meaning if you currently have a turbo that has a E compressor cover, the bracket that is welded to the wastegate actuator is different. They have the actuators available with the correct S cover bracket welded to it. Standard spring or HD spring. And don't forget the injectors and water coolant line kit if you go ball bearing. I would choose one of these two if goals are low 11's vs the PT54. Traction would be another big thing to consider.
Hope some of this helps and sorry to ramble on.
Patrick

Thanks Patrick,

Been doing a search on turbos, its hard to believe there are so many to choose from. Where can I find info on the different housings? Also wondering if there is more durability/longevity with a BB turbo that is watercooled?

Reason I started asking, noticed the specials some of the vendors have right now, 675 shipped. Great price.

The Garrett dual ball bearing chras were developed specifically for racing applications where reliability plays a huge factor. Failure rates of this BB chra were very rare. Typically someone had to really blow something up bad to hurt one. They have proven to be very reliable even on some of the most demanding applications. Such as your daily driven Mitsubishi Evos running around with 28-38psi on a GT35R. Those guys are boost junkies. ;) Here are a couple of links regarding the Garrett BB technology.
TurboByGarrett.com - Turbo Tech101
TurboByGarrett.com - Turbo Systems Tech Center

HTH
Patrick

Of all of these listed below which do you think would be the best for my setup, btw the price on all of these is $675 shipped in the US.

TE44
GT6131E
GT6152E is this the same as the PT6152 mentioned earlier?
PT6152
PT44
PT51
PT52
PT53
PT54
PT60
TE60
PT61

Thanks,
John

That GT6152 IS the same as mentioned and from waht i've been reading so far is a GREAT Turbo.... so great in fact that my brother just bought one.....oh and i did too :biggrin: so ya better hurry because i think you have 2 days left to place an order :eek: :eek: :eek:

years back I went 11.6's at 116mph consistently with omly 22psi boost.
I was having many problems that day with the wastegate,ign break up top end,and leaning out(fuel press guage was out by 9psi)
im sure it would have easily went bottom 11's no problem.
make sure to go with a .62 exh housing.

Been checking out the GT6152 as recommended. Read where some were having problems with it needing a stall of actual 3200 rpm. Some stalls actually flashing at 2900-3000, but rated at 3200. If mine is 3000 might stall at 2800-2900???, but I dont know as it is not in the car at the moment.

Is the E version the .62 exhoust housting?

E version is 3 in inlet 2 outlet on the compressor housing
S version is 4 inlet and 2.5 outlet.

I just ordered a PT6152S for Hartline performance.Its going on my TTA

As Louie said, E stands for the compressor cover (aluminum cover that has the air inlet and discharge) To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a .62 A/R turbine housing (cast iron exhaust side). There are only .63 and .85 Precision Turbine housings and some who will machine a Garrett .63 or .82 A/R turbine housing to fit the T350 turbine wheel. Another misconception with turbos, is that both the compressor cover and the turbine housing both have an A/R number. The TO4E compressor cover (3" inlet, 2" discharge) that PTE makes has an .60 A/R, and the TO4S compressor cover (4" inlet, 2.5" discharge) has a .70 A/R. The A/R numbers on the compressor cover does not play as large a roll as the A/R number on the turbine housing does. The A/R number on the turbine housing directly affects spool up time, torque converter requirements and your horsepower curve. Ex: a .63 A/R turbine housing will spool up quicker and make more hp and torque at a lower rpm range than a .85 A/R turbine housing will. But in some instances you can push a .63 to the point that back pressure starts to get out of control. (Ex: People trying to push a P-trim turbine wheel equipped turbo with a .63 A/R housing too far on a combination, such as a TSM combo, that would benefit from having a GT-Q turbine wheel equipped turbo and a .85 A/R housing.) This is why you see 95% of the turbos on the market for street driven Buicks having the .63 A/R. The .85 A/R is typically for serious combos (575 and up) that are trying to make the most hp that the turbo can support, as well as freeing up the exhaust on a seriously built motor.
HTH
Patrick

Will there be any issues with spooling the 6152 turbo with a 3000 stall convertor? Will the cam have any affect either?

It will spool it up, but it might take a little longer if you are trying to launch with more than 5 psi. It all depends on how loose it actually is.