you guys are ridiculous

TType84

cookin with propane
ok this is REALLY annoying.. ive noticed it before but finally i have to say something

WHY DO YOU ALL HAVE TO SPOUT "OH IT MUST HAVE BEEN AN 84/85 BUICK" WHENEVER SOMEONE POSTS " I BEAT A GN "

really... ive seen it dozens of times (and no im not going to go search to find examples, the viper vs m3 vs gn thread is what set me off). that is just retarded. not all buicks are fast period. ive seen plenty of 86/87 GN's with minor mods that still run in the 14's.

granted, most hotairs are slower than the 86/87 cars, but it's retarded to blame a hotair every single time someone posts about a buick losing.

[/rant]

so true. my car is slower than lots of hot airs, last time i ran it down the track i ran a 16 somethin at 56 mph. I did beat the turbo 1.8L VW Golf next to me, but im sure there are many occasions like this where the guy in the other lane takes it as a win, and goes and brags about it. Doesnt bother me one bit to lose, because i know i can win if i wanted to. When you think about it, 90 percent of the times i see a TR , its a 87 GN or a 86-87 TR. I dont see hot airs often at all, and im almost certain that others dont "always" run against one of these few hot airs. Instead of saying, "oh it was a hot air", say, "must have been untuned, unmodded, or just in bad shape mechanically." which would be a true statement in almost every case. The chances of running against a IC car is much greater than that of running against a hot air, and i would guess that even though the GN lost, its probably a poor running IC car. I see them, more than i see good, modded, tuned cars. These things are real slugs when they arent kept up, and arent in tune, so dont jump to the conclusion that it was a hot air that they raced.

I've noticed it too, that would piss me off really bad. Kind of like when I telll people I have an Olds 442. Then I tell them its an 1985, and they give me this face like I just told them their kid was dead. Sucks man. Dont take it to heart, as long as you like your car, who cares.

my .02

Nick

i'll take the blame for that thread...i sincerely apologize...i didn't even think anything of it...didn't mean to bash the hotairs...

Not all hot air cars are slow!

I know you have heard of Lee Thompson whose hot air car goes low 11's and that was awhile back. He might even be in the ten's by now!

Originally posted by GS70350
When you think about it, 90 percent of the times i see a TR , its a 87 GN or a 86-87 TR. I dont see hot airs often at all, and im almost certain that others dont "always" run against one of these few hot airs.

that point totally slipped my mind..

i rarely see any TR's around here to which i dont know the owners.. out of the few that i do see once in awhile.. none of them are hotairs.

in fact, i have never see another hotair in my area.

the only hotairs ive ever seen were my 2 friends drew carlton and jeff turner, and drew is back in georgetown i think, and jeff doesnt have a hotair anymore. i have NEVER just seen a buick driving and it turned out to be a hotair.

hell ive seen TWO we4's driving around (the owners said so anyway), but no hotair cars.

i agree to a degree as most"street driven" gns around here are stock or lightly modded. most gn's dont pull well up top and alot are on street tires. i try to keep gns at the front of the pack in my area and i rarely loose from a roll. an exscuse is just that, an exscuse. a loss is a loss.

Originally posted by TType84
that point totally slipped my mind..

i rarely see any TR's around here to which i dont know the owners.. out of the few that i do see once in awhile.. none of them are hotairs.

in fact, i have never see another hotair in my area.

the only hotairs ive ever seen were my 2 friends drew carlton and jeff turner, and drew is back in georgetown i think, and jeff doesnt have a hotair anymore. i have NEVER just seen a buick driving and it turned out to be a hotair.

hell ive seen TWO we4's driving around (the owners said so anyway), but no hotair cars.

There is another one in the mesquite area. It's for sale? Nice car too!

Dannyo

oops.. forgot about that beige t-type, insanely nice car. my friend almost bought it.

Re: Not all hot air cars are slow!

Originally posted by GN owner
I know you have heard of Lee Thompson whose hot air car goes low 11's and that was awhile back. He might even be in the ten's by now!

lee thompson has run 10.7x's without an intercooler.

I know the odds are against it but there are more hotairs in my area than IC cars. It's ok, though. Mine hasn't lost a street race and I have a friend with a similar modded hotair that runs pretty well also. Plus it's fun telling people they just lost to a "slow" GN and an IC car would really tear them up. My dad's stageII car is the usual IC example I refer people to.
The thing I've noticed is a lot of hotairs aren't tuned. We went 14.0@100mph on street tire, pump gas, adj FPR, K&N, and a chip. There are some guys who don't run those times with a lot of mods.

Yea you really have to watch out for them slow 84-85's with the big ford front mounts:D

they wont know any better tell they are pulled by a hotair;)

I loved mine,did way more than expected after mods and I SMOKED a bunch of fast cars with it.I used to feel the same way everytime someone posted something like that.So I went out and got an IC car,that'll fix em'.

I'm in utah and the elevation of our track is 4200 ft and my friend andy fresh has an 84 hot air with a stock turbo and injectors with a lock up converter and he went 13.90. Thats pretty darn good if you ask me.

4200ft and stock parts

13.90 right on:)

my hot air was cool tell i just lost a main bearing:(

Don't be knocking the '80s 442's!!!

Originally posted by nickb
I've noticed it too, that would piss me off really bad. Kind of like when I telll people I have an Olds 442. Then I tell them its an 1985, and they give me this face like I just told them their kid was dead. Sucks man. Dont take it to heart, as long as you like your car, who cares.

my .02

Nick
For what it's worth, my old '87 Olds 442 ran abest of 13.2 @102.3 in the 1/4. Original block (over-bored a tad), electronic q-jet and "most" of the emissions stuff still there! Not to tip my hand too much, but to make decent power with an Olds 307, the stock heads gotta' go! They don't flow worth a damn! (think pre-350 & 400ci Olds motors for apropriate pieces...hint hint ;) ). I also picked Joe Mondello's brain for a few hours for acustom grind roller cam.
MAN, I miss that car! Had to sell 'er durring the divorce.....but I'm not bitter:mad: :mad: :mad: Really!:p

I know in my area where the street racing takes place... DPA there are a lot of FAKE GN's, ive rolled up to them asked them wuts inside and hear something crazy like 350 chevy.. or idiots rolling around in white regal limiteds with spoke hub caps talking trash.. unfortunately that puts a damper on GN/
T-type enthusasts like myself at the area... although the two or three real GN's that ive seen have been knowned to kill the local ricers.. not just the civics... the MR2's Supra's ...
So to me its not a matter of hot or cold air its authenticity and knowledge of the driver lol
i have to mention that in this particualer racing area domestics are the minorities.

fond memories of DPA

cimi....thanks for the trip down memory lane! Though in Charlotte, NC now, I was born & raised on Long Island and did "the DPA" thing all thru the late '80s-early '90s!
My family owned an office building near the DPA/Old Cntry Rd intersection and my cousin and I would keep our car detailing supplies there. We'd spend a couple of hours detailing our rides, and then pull right on to the Ave. for some "fun"!

Well, I've had both at the same time. My 85 GN had a Kenne-Bell 2 1/2" dual exhaust, K-B dual stage headers, K&N cone filter, fuel mods, and K-B Ultimate chip. My 87 GN had just a K&N cone and a chip. Both cars were untuned. I drove the 87 and a friend in the 85. The 87 easily won. I can't really say it was the drivers as we have run more than once from anywhere from a dead stop to from a roll. Maybe if they were both tuned it may have been different, but the 85 only ran a best of 8.7 in the 1/8. I'm not bashing the hot-airs as I have won most of my races in mine, but on a hot day like the ones the races occurred on, the 87 has the advantage in my opinion.

DPA is the only place ive ever seen a Firebird and CAmaro line up race then two cops line up and race... there is a lot of fun there... like i said before ... imports are overcoming us domestic guys... srbenelli.. what do you think of turbo buick in my 85 olds.. nobody thinks the swap will be possible.?!?!? ive seen it swapped into a lot of things including a mercedes... take it easy
p.s. im into sleepers... hence keeping the bench in my car lol