You might own a Turbo Trans Am if...

pvt num 11

Finally driving it
I had this thought as a sense of humour, sort of "if you can't laugh at yourself then you shouldn't be driving it" sort of thing.

-You consider changing a head gasket as a rite of passage for ownership.
-You've ever considered sealing your t-tops shut to keep the water out. That or actually changed the seals…
-You have learned to loathe one-piece rear main seals.
-You wish you didn't have a frame member in the way so you could easily drop the oil pan to change aforementioned rear main seal.
-You had to lift up the engine and jerry-rig a way to keep it up there in order to change said rear main seal.
-You broke something trying to lift the engine in order to drop the pan in order to change the rear main seal.
-It leaked after you were done with it anyway.
-Learning all of that, you simply learned to drop newspaper under the car when you parked it.
-You know what a headlight control module is.
-You've had to replace one - if you could find one that worked.
-20psi is a mild level of boost.
-Mandatory owner's equipment includes a Scan Master at a minimum.
-Knock Retard and O2 Millivolts - The Holy Sacraments of the Scan Master.
-Ricers are amused to see a mere Fireturd showing up at a race event… with a laptop.
-Import Enthusiasts are impressed to see the same and will actually talk with you about the car.
-You've gotten worked up about someone asking if it was a 305 or a 350… again.
-Carbed 350's make you laugh.
-Carbed 383's make you laugh.
-Twin-turbo LS1's make you green with envy.
-You think twenty miles per gallon for a V6 is great mileage.
-You've had to replace a MAF sensor.
-You replaced that stock MAF for something more modern and piggy-backed it into the ECM.
-You ditched the stock ECM entirely and went speed-density just so you wouldn't have to deal with a MAF ever again.
-You dread the day your nine-bolt rear will eventually break.
-You have seriously contemplated a Ford 9-inch rear axle, just in case.
-You've priced TH200R4 performance rebuilds, for when the stock one breaks.
-You have contemplated shoving in a TH400 for when the TH200R4 breaks.
-Locking the converter is a good way to gain a few tenths in the 1/4, even if it is downright abusive.
-You regularly check Ebay for an owners kit, even though you have three complete sets already.
-Chrome CAN get you home, if it involves the MAF-to-Turbo section.
-Your turbo heatshield says "Turbo Trans Am" on it.
-You fall into to one of two camps: Door Stickers or No Door Stickers.
-You paid more then a hundred bucks for an original OEM sparkplug wire set - that will sit in the box until you decide to sell them.
-You don't mind falling into the driver's seat - even if you're over forty-five years old.
-You sneer at a TTA that's been repainted some color other then white.
-Making the car run tens in the 1/4-mile while looking bone stock is your ultimate goal for the car.
-You sneer at all the mundane non-turbocharged Firebirds and Trans Am's. Except 1LE-optioned ones and Firehawks.
-The thought of whooping up on a C5 Z06 excites you.
-You're sick and tired of blowing head gaskets.
-You would convert over to a roller hydraulic cam, but the price is downright scary, so you put up with the stock flat hydraulic bumpstick.
-Race-prepping the car involves turning the A/C off.
-Your new or rebuilt engine break-in time was the fifty miles to the track, then running 11's on a "conservative" tune.
-Alky injection is the only way to get into the elevens or faster reliably.
-You dread the thought of having to hack up the front clip to install a front-mount intercooler, even though it will work far better then the stock one.
-Your replacement catalytic converter was a Y-pipe with a removable cap on one end.
-You know what THDP stands for.
-…And you're willing to sacrifice your first-born to get one.
-You're regularly pushing just how far the stock long block will go - and wonder why you windowed the block at 28psi.
-Stock pistons and crank are good into the tens, if tuned right.
-Stock camshaft is good until the eleven's, and quite possibly the tens.
3600-lbs is not a bad weight for the car - perish the thought of hacking weight off it!
-Only high-mileage or salvaged TTA's are fit for regular track duty.
-You whine about TTA's not fetching the price they deserve on Ebay.
-You fit in better at a Turbo Regal meet then at a Firebird meet.

Any other things I missed? Feel free to add!

I OWN A TTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honestly I have experienced ALL of these!!!!!!!!!!!

and I still LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!

thanks JD :D :D :D :D

-If you sell your TTA you will find yourself looking at another within a 3 mo. period of time.
-You sneer at the higher mileage TTA with no cracks in the leather.
-You meet some of the best people to go drag racing with.
-You sneer at the higher mileage TTA with no cracks in the spoiler.
-You stare at the NOS parts you have on the shelf and say to yourself " Not yet"

Funny stuff:biggrin:

-When you've overheard more than one hillbilly say,
"yeah that lil ol firebird v6 runnind around town beats everybody cause it's runnin a sh*t load of nitrous....burp, fart..hehe,...I'm an idiot."

-When you go back and forth between two schools,
1. I should go for stock appearing, but run 11s.
2. Screw stock appearing, everyone knows I'm modified. go big and 10s.

-If you think to yourself while hunting street races that maybe they won't notice I'm running MT DRs, and you know what MT DR stands for.

-You love more than anything to line up at stop light with a mint 89 350 IROC.

-If you love your electric cutout more than free steak.

Hi,
You know you are a TTA nut if:
* It is totally impossible for you to conceive of a vehicle you would RATHER drive.
*Once you have realized this,the car lets you down at the LAST moment you thought it would.

Sounds like people like me sitting on 1,200 mile originals are missing all the fun :) I just sold that car, and had no idea what I was missing out on :)

Mike

LMAOROTF, Now This thread is funny but ohh so true. Don't have a TTA but can attest to a whole lot of it.:D :D

pvt num11 You finding a little too much time on your hands lately??...LOL:D :D :D
OR just daydreaming at the office? Bad looking secretary's eh.

....you see an 87-89 GTA and think to yourself "You have NO idea what you are missing and then :biggrin: "

- You changed your fuel pump once and hurt yourself doing it and vowed to never do it again
- You have to teach every passenger how to get in and out and how to close the hatch
- You like to roll into it leaving every other stop sign just to hear it bark second
- Your fingers get tired when you're asked to name what your car is "1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am #1105 of 1550"
-... then you have to explain what it actually is "turbo 3.8L V6 it's almost identical to a Grand National motor"
- You have to tell people constantly that you didn't swap the motor and that it's actually factory
- You wish you would have bought a GN so you wouldn't have to clean the snow flake wheels
- You get excited about knowing other peoples car numbers because they might be close to yours
- You spend all your extra money just collecting NOS parts and collectibles
- Your family is getting mad because your parts and collectibles are taking over the house.
- You question whether the car is going to run right after letting it sit over winter even though you didn't change anything

- Since about 1992-93 the realization that "this thing draws too much attention" has lead to not being able to drive it to park it and leave it at the mall, packed out restaurants, concerts, dowtown parking structures and overnight trips are out of the question.
- The above realization has now lead to considering buying a 87-90 GTA for a "practical" everyday driver.

You chuckle when you over hear an Older Woman telling her toddler grandchild "Wow look, it says Official Race Car".