You can type here any text you want

109 blocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mzunino

Hey guys, are the turbo blocks the only 3.8 considered as a 109 block? I am trying to understand incase I need to get a core block. What other vehicles have the equivalent block?? I understand the crank is different in a turbo application. I appreciate your help:D

Hey guys, are the turbo blocks the only 3.8 considered as a 109 block? I am trying to understand incase I need to get a core block. What other vehicles have the equivalent block?? I understand the crank is different in a turbo application. I appreciate your help:D

All rear wheel drive GM vehicles (Olds Cutlass Supreme, Buick Regal, ect.) with the Buick 3.8L motor in 86' and 87' should be 109 blocks. The N/A cars just won't have the hole drilled for the turbo drain back.

some notes on the 3.8L V6 blocks

Many different engine blocks were used during the '84 - '87 production run of turbo Buicks. Each year had a refinement done here and there that made the block better. The '84 and '85 blocks for the hot air cars had the most changes until the release of the "109" block (25526109) in '86. All '86 and '87 GM "G" body cars (Regal, Cutlass, Grand Prix) with the Buick 3.8L powerplant used the 109 block. Naturally the non-turbo cars did not have the boss in the upper valley drilled and tapped for the oil return line from the turbo.

the following link is an excellent article about the history of the Buick V6 and has a chart of block, head, and crank #'s for comparison.

Block Photo Guide

Actually, there is a bunch of great information on this site under the Resources tab.

Back