You can type here any text you want

197,000 Engine Rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerry Gustin

Body off frame restore new black paint w/ a hint of red pearl in the 1st. coat of clear. Blown head gasket on No. 1 cly so its time. Useing the Speed Pro Master Rebuild Kit with the Forged Pistons to .020 - Crank looked excellent but my machine shop guy wants to .010-.010 because thats doing right he says. Car will not be raced so doing mild street rebuild. Turbo Lou's street chip. Larger Injectors not sure on the size yet? Comp Cams CL69-248-4 Kit. Allready have 3" downpipe. New Stainless headers. Rebuilt connecting rods w/Arp Bolts. Arp Main and Head bolts. Heads will be rebuilt with viton seals and new valves if necessary, new springs to match form comp cams unless they come in the master rebuild kit? Hot wire kit and new fuel pump from Full Throttle/MuscleCar Mike. Freshen the HD oil pump that TurboLou put on a number of years ago.

Thanks for any comments and cautions. Jerry

Rebuild

Sounds like it's going to be a nice rebuild . Is Lou putting engine together for you? Go with at least 60 pound injectors.

Building it myself -- I am an old jr. fuel dragster crew chief from the 70s. Live in CO now -- If I were still in CA Lou for sure would be doing the engine. Found a round de round racer with and incredible machine shop on the western slope of CO. that did a lot of these engines in Florida to do up the machine work. My engine builder from CA in my Jr. Fuel days has also given me a lot of good info on pricing and what parts to use for my level of build.

Jerry

Thanks for the Reply

Building it myself -- I am an old jr. fuel dragster crew chief from the 70s. Live in CO now -- If I were still in CA Lou for sure would be doing the engine. Found a round de round racer with and incredible machine shop on the western slope of CO. that did a lot of these engines in Florida to do up the machine work. My engine builder from CA in my Jr. Fuel days has also given me a lot of good info on pricing and what parts to use for my level of build.

Jerry
I was looking at the 60 lb Injectors from Full Throttle Speed?

I didn't see any mention of a turbo in there. If you are running the stock turbo, I'd consider holding off on the headers. From what I've read, you'll lose more HP than you'll gain at that HP level.

Jerry

How much horsepower and quick will you like to go?
sound like we are in for some street/strip records.:biggrin:

Welcome to the forum.

Jerry, do some research for the clearences. They are very different from a normal Chevy build.

Between 350 and 400 HP I am using the stock caps with ARP Studs. With the Hi-Dollar Paint I am not sure about taking it to the track - maybe. I have made my machine guy very aware of the need for tight clearences on the Main and Rod bearings. He said that he likes to go on the tight side on modern engines because of todays oil. I plan to run Torco Racing Oil if they make it in a light enought grade.

Always double check the clearances too! When I had my engine machined and balanced, I made him a list of tolerances just to make sure we were on the same page which suprisingly they were aware of. I double checked before assembling the shortblock.

It was my 1st Buick Build as well, still holding strong(knock on wood!!) after 5+ k miles of street/strip action. I like to think I did my homework before building

Back