You can type here any text you want

1981 E/C 3.8L NA fuel problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RockfordEsprit

Hi everyone!

Okay, I'm having a problem with my 1981 Firebird. It's pushing through way too much fuel, even at idle. I ran my DIACOM software on it, and got two errors:

(42) SPARK TIMING BYPASS CIRCUIT GROUNDED
(38) MANIFOLD OR VACUUM SENSOR ERROR (this one I'm just reciting from memory, might be slightly different in wording)

I just had the choke pulloff replaced for said problem, and the carb is only about 3 years old.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the oxygen sensor. while I'm running the software it does give readings...it fluctuates all over the place though.

I'm getting terrible gas mileage, around 6-8 MPG.

Anyojne have any suggestions?

Thanks!

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/ecm.htm

38 is not a choice (33?). If it's the MAP sensor, try checking it's values with the scan tool. They will change with engine vacuum. If not, check the vacuum lines for leaks first.

The 42 is a probelm with the electronic HEI distributor. Check the wiring to it first. Make sure it's not unplugged.

Fix these codes before worrying about the carb. Oxyegn Sensor output should vary quicking between 0-1 V.

Back