You can type here any text you want

1987 Buick Grand National engine problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboregal

Was driving down the highway sunday after noon and went to pass a car, and my 1987 Buick Grand National popped out the exhaust, almost died. Had to throttling the pedal to keep it alive. I can put it in neutral and it will rev fine. Once put under a load starts to struggle and wants to die. Anyone else experience this before and what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

• First check all of the turbo to innercooler and up pipe to throttle body hose connections to see if a hose popped off or ruptured.
  • check the flex hose to mass air meter to air filter hoses for the same issues as above
  • next would be The mass air meter itself,and the the cam position sensor.
  • you can start the car and unplug the mass air meter temporarily and see if it improves.
  • you can also unplug the cam sensor after starting the car.....this is a little tricky watch the fingers and rotating parts, and see if this helps. Note if you shut the car off with cam sensor unplugged it will not start again until you re-connect it.
  • Try these simple first line items and report back with what you find.

• First check all of the turbo to innercooler and up pipe to throttle body hose connections to see if a hose popped off or ruptured.
  • check the flex hose to mass air meter to air filter hoses for the same issues as above
  • next would be The mass air meter itself,and the the cam position sensor.
  • you can start the car and unplug the mass air meter temporarily and see if it improves.
  • you can also unplug the cam sensor after starting the car.....this is a little tricky watch the fingers and rotating parts, and see if this helps. Note if you shut the car off with cam sensor unplugged it will not start again until you re-connect it.
  • Try these simple first line items and report back with what you find
Ok I will check all this and let you know thanks for the starting point, i will check codes on the scanmaster but it did not throw a check engine light? should it have?

You will not always get a check engine light. It depends on what the malfunction is.
The computer and its abilities are pretty primitive in our turbo regals, nothing like the obd2 systems in todays cars.

If there is a TR owner close to you willing to do simple part swaps one at a time it’ll save to time and money.

Start with the MAF like TB68 said.

It can cause many symptoms.

D

Any update? That has happened to me before. I would do as the others have suggested. My problem was an intercooler pipe connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like a dummy,sure enough I had a chance to look at the car today and looked under the car and there it was the intercooler pipe that goes up to the throttle body came off ,so i reattached it started it and drove it around and runs smooth again, thanks everyone for their input I really appreciate it....

Thanks Eric....

I would bet most of us have experienced that issue at least once. Personally, I've popped the intake pipe right at the throttle body twice. I swapped out all the cheap hose clamps to a quality T bolt style clamp which haven't failed yet.
image.jpg

Good easy fix glad you got it this site is got the best members and vendors for our buicks and the response time is right on time don't have to wait long .wish I could meet most of these guys in person so I can shake there hands and thank them .

Good easy fix glad you got it this site is got the best members and vendors for our buicks and the response time is right on time don't have to wait long .wish I could meet most of these guys in person so I can shake there hands and thank them .

That wasn't so bad now was it? Ur no longer a virgin to the bad side of our lil black mistresses.;)

Glad it was an easy fix. With the age of our cars whenever there is a problem it's usually scary. I think our human nature is to think "oh no " this could be bad. I always panic but then I remind myself that no matter what I can fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it's time to fix it so that doesn't happen again.

New silicone hoses and heavy duty clamps.

Some have sprayed hair spray on the inside of the hoses to make them seal better when clamped to help keep them from blowing off.

I have done that 4-5 times and That loud bang scares the crap out of me every time!

Back