You can type here any text you want

1st had account: Late/Great Zora Duntov was called in during TTA production story!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
The old adadge that "it's a small world" applies to this experience.
An interesting "Insider" viewpoint.

While parking my Turbo Trans Am at the H.B Cal morning car show...this gentleman (mid 50s) approached me and told me some interesting stuff regarding the production of the 89 Turbo car.

Story: His office was responsible for (Pontiac Division (GM branch) for a leg of TTA production....mostly "overseeing" that the PAS facility in Cal had the necessary tooling/staffing and car and parts delivery channels in place for the Buick Turbo V-6 engine/TH200 conversion.... The gentleman stated that most difficult was the paperwork and made the impression that it was a beaucratic nightmare.

Interesting part: When the first cars were built in the new facility...a complete taredown was performed on 2 TTAs to address assembly issue...most notiably a vibration/whinning sound eminating somewhere in the engine bay. The top facility engineers were on it...but couldn't isolate the problem so GM called in "engineering extrordinaire" "Corvette Godfather" the late ZORA DONTOV to fly down from Detroit and give his assessment. According to the gentleman...Dontov basically had a TTA started and stood at the foot of the engine bay and starred down on the engine bay with his hand under his chine (without even picking up a tool or tweaking the engine in any way)---Successfully diagnosed the issue. Dontov was really in a class by himself with Larry Shinoda.:hail: :hail:

> Dontov was really in a class by himself

I think you should have had ended the statement there! Even if this were not completely true, the fact is that people with extraordinary skills and accomplishments only add to their legend with time. In the corporate world of today, isn't is sad you don't find this anymore? The true individuals are repressed to the corporate, politically correct norm.

Certainly one of the world class auto names - perhaps the only name that stood internationally with the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, etc. There were certainly some great *American* names, but few recognized around the world like Zora....

Not sure the exact "micro" details of timing issues regarding the actual progression of events (hand under chin)....but the impression was that Zora correctly diagnosed the problem from get go without getting hands dirty... I am sure that tests were ran after the fact to "confirm" the diagnosis. I do believe that some engineers are heads above others. Zora being one of the "performance" minded engineers that went "against the grain" and had actual driving "racing" experience back in the day..testing these vehicles in the field.

Back