You can type here any text you want

2001 CD player in 87 TR?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
I've got a 2001 Delco DIN + 1/2 CD player. Trying to wire it into my 87 T. I have a 1989 cassette/EQ unit now with a GM adapter for the electrical and the antenna. Does any such adapter work to make the latest Delcos a plug and play proposition?

[the silence is deafening]

So, if I can't put the 2001 head unit in my 87 Regal, are there any adapters available so I can put the 2001 unit in my 96 Pontiac?

What kind of car it came out form? Most of the GM color codes are the same on newer and older cars but mounting the radio is a different story. Also the newer car have an external amp or a bose system, them its going to get alittle tricky to wire it up.

The head unit came out of an Oldsmobile, I think I was told it was a Silhouette. The physical mounting does not look to be a problem, just the electrical connection. I know that Delco has carried similar adapters in the past: The connection on the back of the 1989 Delco units changed from the harness used in our 1987 vintage. Yet I bought from the dealership an adapter that plugs into the back of my 1989 radio and plugs right into the harness of my 1987 Regal. I think that the 1989 connections stayed the same right up until about 2000. Then it changed again to two rows of 12 pins in one connection bus. My first thought was to just clip a harness out of a junked car, solder it up to the adapter I have for the 87 wiring, and off I go. Except that finding a 2001 vehicle in the junk yards around here is about as likely as finding a Turbo Regal.

Go to a local stereo shop and ask for one. They should have plenty, i'm shure of that!. I think American International or Metra make replcement plugs for OEM radios.

Or the last resort take a pic of the back of the radio and i'll send you the hardness, but might only have 1-2" left of wire.

When I called the Delphi/Delco service center in L.A. I was told that Metra makes the OEM harness. I know that Metra is carried by most of the car stereo shops in my area. But I've been told by 3 different shops now that they only carry adapters INTO the stock harness; not FROM a stock radio. IOW, they only expect to wire after-market radios into the stock harness. They are not interested in helping wire up a stock radio, therefore they do not carry plugs that go into the back of a Delco unit. Leaves me SOL. My latest plan: get the pin-out schematic for new radio; get Metra harness that plugs into the Regal; solder tiny little plugs onto the Metra and plug individual wires onto the pins at back of the Delco. Not the most bullet proof solution because the pins are awfully close together and shorts are a possibility.

Back