You can type here any text you want

232-232 76GTQ Converter Stall?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eticket

Ok.. street car 270" stage II with 232-232 .580 lift 114LS Solid Roller Champion Headed 76GTQ turbo. stock 3.42 gears. 28x10.5 MT's

What type of stall should I shoot for?

I have approx 3000 stall right now and can build about 12psi at the line with some good throttle peddling. BUT I don't think I'm leaving in the power range of the cam so my 60ft's suck. best has been 1.58.

I'm pretty sure about asking TCS to up my stall to 3500-3600 but just wanted to get ya'lls input. I'd like to build boost "easily" and leave in a good power range of the cam.

Car has been 10.83@128.8 on 15-16psi 1.80 60ft. Would everyone agree this is about on par?

Thanks,
John Nguyen

PS Weak wastegate spring was limiting my boost, but that will be fixed shortly.

John from my research and a few I have talked to around 4000 is probably more like it.

Of course as you know I am using a 76gts in my build up so I have been told a 4600 works great with it.I am no expert though.

I know you want to maintain reliability and street driveable stall.I would at least try a 3600 or 3800 first if I had a restall service available.I know precision gives one free restall if you don't like the stall range if you buy one of theirs.Don't know about the others.

Bill Duke has recommended PTC for my converter.Have you talked to him and asked what he thinks.I know he was going 6.2s with the old 76 before.

You are still using the 4L80 aren't you?

Patrick

Hi John. Unfortunately that q-trim will hurt your spoolup vs a GTQ. I'd say at least 3600-3800, min. Plus it needs to be tuned for maximum torque in the spoolup zone to hep get it over the hump. Glad to see you put a ~ good size stick in it! Did you also get super strong pushrods for it? The usual 0.080" wall 5/16" dia won't cut it at nearly 9" long with a solid roller...

I had a PI 9.5" non-lu for awhile (200r4). They were great to deal with, but unfortunately it broke twice while I had it, then the next guy also broke it with his 10 sec stock block. Same problem ea time- bent/broken fins.

For that boost level I'd say that yes, it's on par ;) Almost 129 mph at 16 psi. Having a better than the usual too small cam will get it done at lower observed boost levels. Do you also have a higher than usual CR, or?

TurboTR

Whoops- brain faded to a q trim for some reason (lol). I think a ~ 3600-3800 stall would likely be a great combo for a GTQ with 270 cubes.

TurboTR

Patrick,

The restall won't cost me much if anything. I've already got a TCS Billet 9x11. Works great so far except for the low stall. I didn't talk to Bill because I had the numbers in mind already. Just validating it here.

When Kring had my combo he "only" had about a 3000 stall or so but that's with a tranny brake. He built boost just fine too, but I think back now and bet his car could have 60fted better back then with more stall. I believe that it was off the shelf.

Hey Todd,

Sorry I didn't get to talk with you more at Temple. Who was a the lady?
Yes.. I was thinking of buying your Manton rods, but figured you had issues with them too.. so.. I ordered some from T&D Smith Bros. They are .120 wall 9.000. It's weird.. I had 9.100 needed .100 taken off. Now the pushrods are shorter than I wanted. I wonder which set is measured correctly.

The turbo is the new GTQ wheel.. really nice. I actually think it spools as nice as the BB Turbonetics I had.. but who knows.. I didn't have much seat time in the car then and so much has changed since.

232 big stick? I don't know.. but I kind of wished I had a hydro roller right now so I could drive the car "daily" if I wanted.

I have the Tcoverter to restall, some new adjustable control arms, and will be ready for Noble. Will you bring your ride this year?

Patrick (above) will have a TA motor this week. Trying to figure out how I might help to get it to Noble this year?

John

Hey John, "that was no lady, that was Belle Star!" lol... Actually that's Princess Bumbum (lol) from Brasil :) She's a Paulista (from Sao Paulo).

I won't be bringing mine to the event in Oct but hope to be working with several cars that will be there, including Art's new tt car hopefully. Sounds like yours should be running very well. I look forward to seeing it! Glad you got some good pushrods in it. I have an S2 block with GN1-R's and it seems that 9.00" is the right length in mine if I recall. I agree, the GT series turbos do seem to spool wayyy better than the previous generation IME. I hope you get it dialed in quickly and see you in OK in Oct!

TurboTR

Back