You can type here any text you want

5.25 component speakers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dreamcar86

Lately I am all about going back to a stock looking interior. No more kick panels and flashy stuff. The question is - has anyone taken 5.25 component speakers and placed the tweeter in the dash where the factory 3.5 went? I am wondering if the 5.25's are in the door and the tweeters are in the dash if it will sound right.

Lately I am all about going back to a stock looking interior. No more kick panels and flashy stuff. The question is - has anyone taken 5.25 component speakers and placed the tweeter in the dash where the factory 3.5 went? I am wondering if the 5.25's are in the door and the tweeters are in the dash if it will sound right.

it is recomended to keep tweets close to the mids for good sound,but i like the tweets up in the dash because it brings the sound stage higher.JMHO.

i have (in past cars)installed tweets in the upper door panels by carefully picking away the panel board, but leaving the cloth intact.sounds good, looks factory. or another sneeky way, is to install tweets in the outermost air vents......
HTH, Gary

it is recomended to keep tweets close to the mids for good sound,but i like the tweets up in the dash because it brings the sound stage higher.JMHO.

i have (in past cars)installed tweets in the upper door panels by carefully picking away the panel board, but leaving the cloth intact.sounds good, looks factory. or another sneeky way, is to install tweets in the outermost air vents......
HTH, Gary

Both of those ideas are very good. Now you have me thinking. When you place the component speakers in the door panels did you run the 3.5 on the dash or is it even necessary?

if you have a amp for the highs so it can handle the ohm load, then go ahead and install the dash 3 1/2 too.like stated before,it raises the sound stage.you will like:biggrin:

if you have a amp for the highs so it can handle the ohm load, then go ahead and install the dash 3 1/2 too.like stated before,it raises the sound stage.you will like:biggrin:

I like that idea and it just so happens that I have an amp lying around just waiting to be hooked up.

Thanks for the replies.

I did it with Polk/MOMO 5.25" components. Only problem I ran into with the install is that the tweeters were hitting the panel that fits over the dash. I should have found a way to recess the tweeters into the ABS panel I made in the shape of the factory 3.5" speaker. I keep meaning to put the speakers up for sale but for some reason I keep forgetting. The protective domes of the tweeters are bent a little because of this but it does not affect the sound. I've since custom fit Polk SR 6.5"s components into the door and I did them as "compaxials" so the tweeter is mounted in the middle of the woofer because I found the sound stage was too bright up on the dash with the MOMOs. That's probably because I didn't use the crossovers (ran it with the Polk/MOMO C400.4 amp that has a setting made for the MOMO components) and didn't attenuate the tweeters.

If you do put the tweeters on the dash, make sure you reverse the polarity of it. It will make it blend much better with the woofers since they are not on the same plane.

I did it with Polk/MOMO 5.25" components. Only problem I ran into with the install is that the tweeters were hitting the panel that fits over the dash. I should have found a way to recess the tweeters into the ABS panel I made in the shape of the factory 3.5" speaker. I keep meaning to put the speakers up for sale but for some reason I keep forgetting. The protective domes of the tweeters are bent a little because of this but it does not affect the sound. I've since custom fit Polk SR 6.5"s components into the door and I did them as "compaxials" so the tweeter is mounted in the middle of the woofer because I found the sound stage was too bright up on the dash with the MOMOs. That's probably because I didn't use the crossovers (ran it with the Polk/MOMO C400.4 amp that has a setting made for the MOMO components) and didn't attenuate the tweeters.

If you do put the tweeters on the dash, make sure you reverse the polarity of it. It will make it blend much better with the woofers since they are not on the same plane.

How in the world did you get the 6.5's to fit in the door? I have a rock'n pair of 6.5 Focal's sitting in a box and would love to run those over the 5.25's. Do you have pictures?

I have the exact system your talking about. The brand I am using is cdt. The tweaters up on the dash are a problem unless you mount them flushed, used some plastic pieces I had laying around. Sounds great and looks stock! I think these are the ones I got I did not use the crossovers, I run them active CDT Audio EF-51NEO/DRT-25 PRO - CDT Audio 5.25" 2 Way Slim NEODYMIUM Component System w/ DRT-25 Tweeters

That is interesting that you ran them without the crossovers. I have some Focal's sitting around that I wanted to install but they are 6.5's which is to big for the doors and I am wanting to go back to the stock look. The other problem with Focal's is that they take a lot of power to run which means that I would still be forced to install amps in the trunk. That is not really that big of a deal considering that people are not looking in your trunk.

Back