You can type here any text you want

6 1/2's using stock CSII pods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sick6

I was able to install a big ass set of Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 Components in my '87 GN's doors, using the stock CSII pods with a 3/8" spacer. When I first opened up the door I thought to myself "What am I getting into, put now that I have them installed, I'm very happy with the job. I have yet to run the power wire/rca's for the amp, so I dont know how they sound. I flush mounted the tweeters right in front of the power door locks. It looks good, I'll have pics up soon. Anyone have any recomendations on where to run the power wire through the firewall? Where the antenna cable runs through?

-Steve
Jeepstr396@aol.com

WOW...I just went through this (see post below) and I can't see how you did it. Problems I ran into:

CSII grill pod was to narrow (hit speaker, no way to mount the pod...mounting boss were only 6 3/8 wide...the door panel wouldn't even fit down to the door)
power window motor hit basket (moved back)
the window stop towards front of door (moves with window)

SO I ended up scrapping the CSII pod and went from scratch.
I made a 1/2" spacer
moved the power window motor back 3/8"
Widened the CSII opening (in the door panel)
Relocated the door wiring
Made a custom grill to go over it all.

The speakers I used are cast basket...don't know if that would make a difference or not. LET'S see some pics of that bad boy. Door panel on and off if you can.

The Boston speakers have cast baskets as well, and the magnet is about 1/4 in. diameter smaller then the hole in the door. I mounted the speaker on 3 posts out far enough so it doesnt hit the window motor, which means it goes in the door about 3/8" deep. I thru-bolted it with 10/32 screws with nylock nuts on the back, used a piece 4 mil plastic tarp to protect the back from the elements. I notched the lower door panel up a little less then a half inch, just so it clears the round of the speaker, makine sure the top is a straight line, cause thats where the lip of the CS II pods clips in. I took a dremel and cut the middle post of the CSII pod out; it interferred with the speaker. I drilled two 1/4" holes above the slots from the old pods in the lower door panel, made a spacer about 3/8" thick to fill the space and used black sticky felt from the rag shop to cover it. looks stock form a foot away, If I took the time to make good spacers it would be perfect. The speaker did however fit between the two outer posts on the pod, maybe your's didn't, or maybe you could have notched the speaker flange. I'll get picks as soon as my friend gets back from vermont.

-Steve

by the way, here is the website for the speakers

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ProductsPage.asp?ProductID=59&SpecID=4&SeriesID=20

I was going to do the same thing with an Illusion 6 1/2", but they were way pricey and Illusion was not far from having to close the doors. I knew my Blues 6 1/2's that I already had would not work (magnet about 1" bigger than the hold in the door). So I had Audio Wizard build me some custom panels which turned out great.

Here's the link to that post with links to pics:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62213

I'm SLOWLY working on the rest of the system.

I can't wait to see your pics.

See, here's my dilemma.
Although beautiful, Audio Wizards panels look to "added on" for my taste (so do the audio forms). I prefer the install to look like something the manufacturer of the car would have done in a production vehicle. The ultimate compliment to me as an installer is if people don't realize it isn't factory.
That's just my opinion. Personally, I think even the OEM CSII grills look to much like an after thought (which they were). SO, I created my own that make the bottom of the door and the speaker grill all one piece. Just my .02, not trying to knock on anyone elses preferences...

Originally posted by zam70
See, here's my dilemma.
Although beautiful, Audio Wizards panels look to "added on" for my taste (so do the audio forms). I prefer the install to look like something the manufacturer of the car would have done in a production vehicle.

Thank you Zam! Its obvious that they are added on (I will agree on that point) but the good thing is that you don't have to hack up the steel in the door and modify the driver to fit with the Audio forms or my pods for that matter (the lower door panel is easier to replace verses the metal in the door). If you want it to look stealth or factory then surgury has to be done to make it fit which there is nothing wrong with that if that is the route that you choose. There are ways to make the pods and the lower door panels as "one piece" and give it that factory look but that makes the price of the modification increase. I will be doing that with my next install with imbossed leather and the badge logo of my GN! :)

Audiowizard, Like I said, I wasn't knocking you and understand (and appreciate) your approach....I personally have never feared or minded cutting a car (you wouldn't believe some that I've "modified" and to what extent). In the end it's just a car no matter model.

Check mine out for a one piece panel (sig)...Easiest way to make them go is to move the power window motor back about 3/8s of an inch (easy). I mounted mine direct to the door (1/2" spacer) and mounted the grill to the door panel. The rest is just typical cosmetic "wizardry".
I thought about doing mine in vinyl and decided to stay with carpet...feet doesn't effect it as much and it gives it more of that factory feel.

Originally posted by zam70
Audiowizard, Like I said, I wasn't knocking you and understand (and appreciate) your approach

I know you were'nt knocking me. :) I was listing one of the positive to pods. I have 3 drivers in each door because I needed the foot room because I am a very big guy with big feet! :D I personally think stealth is better in the long run but since I show and demo my car, that was one of the places that I did not go stealth plus I needed room for three drivers. I am one of the few people that do appreciate stealth installs, there is alot more work involved so that does take a special skill. I do like the way you did your doors so two thumbs up from this guy! :cool:

Back