'79 Aniversary Edition T/A

transaman

I had the crazy idea to put a GN engine in a screaming chicken T/A, always one of my favorite looks wise, just no muscle to back it up. Do any of you have an estimate to whatd id have to do and how much $$. Is there any good books or websites to go to for this kind of thing? Thanks for the help.

I've thought about the same thing but I was planning on using a LS1 motor as the have soo much potential in them.

transaman I would think it would'nt be to difficult, they had Buick V6's offered in Firebirds of the same body style, so you could get the frame mount/motor mounts from from that application. Same bell housing (BOP). The rear in 79TA is a 8.5 , so thats strong enough. The only really difficult work wouldbe the exhaust manifolds/ exhaust cross over, but GN manifolds may fit. And the wiring harness, which I would call Casper Electronics and have them make you one that fits your application.

that will be a pretty cool ride.thats the second car i owned and sometimes i wish i still had it,and with a buick v6 in it? i would probablly not beleive it if i heard that car coming down the street.good luck:D

i did that swap into a 75 firebird about 4 months ago, went very smooth. If you can find motor mounts for a 79 with a 3.8 that would make it easier than mine ,(the 3.8 motor mount holes are not in a 75 bird} If you are going to run a 200r4 trans then you will need to move your trans crossmember back and drill new holes in the sub frame and use a 79 transmission mount.The stock manifolds and crossover pipe fits but the down pipe will not, had to make a custom.You will have to figure a way to get the fuel pump to work and run bigger fuel lines. I ran a number 8 AN feed line and a 6AN return braided stainless line. If you have any ?'s you can email me TPROBISON@JUNO.COM

So how does it go? Got any pictures of it. Sounds cool.