79# Injector limits and E85

BlackoutDrunk

Spring Loaded Idiot
Hey guys lately I've been looking into upgrading my GN and I was thinking alky/TT chip or something like a Extender/translator/maf. Well now I'm wondering if I should go with these 79# hi-Z injectors/TT chip and switch to E85. I still have the stock Maf but the larger K&N cone filter.

My question is with my combo (in the sig) will I have enough injector and will there be enough room for growth i.e. bigger turbo down the line? My guess is the 79#er's would be good for the 44 and but I'm not sure if I were to go with a bigger turbo say a TE62 or TE63? I'm just using those as a size example because that would be as big as I think I could safely go before I have to start upgrading everything else in the drive line. My car is fast enough for me for now but everyone knows that the speed bug bites at some point. ;)

Here are the injectors I'm looking at... Racetronix 01D129xFM Injector

I'm not opposed to adding an alky kit either, I just like the idea of running E85. I still might just go the alky kit/TT Chip route but I want to make sure I cover my bases and think things through.

My goals for the car are pretty much to have a nice street driver that I take to the track once or twice a year.

There probably still plenty of info you guys will want but I'm a bit hungover right now and just wanted to get this out there to start the conversation.

Thanks

Guys like wordy1 and bsdlinux I'm talking to you. Anyone with some experience please chime in.

Thanks in advance.

I think you would be fine on the injector size, but you might want to go a double pumper if you decide to do more upgrades, turbo, intercooler, heads, cam ect...

Yes thats a good pump. With the 79# injectors you should be able to get around 500 hp before you start running out of fuel. With alky ( 100% Meth ) your adding an extra 10-15% or so of fuel. Plenty of HP for most and enough to blow it up :biggrin:

After that I would definitely upgrade the fuel system, the line sizes, fuel rail upgrades, badass pumps, etc HTH

78lbs would be 30% more than the 60's so with those turbo's you will be just fine. Alky puts you into a nice spot power wise and you could probably run a race setup with E85 and alky :eek: .

I agree with the double pumper and make the lines pretty big ( no smaller than -8 feed and -6 return IMO ) and you will be just fine. :)

I thought I heard that the stock lines should be good up to 1000hp but it was the fittings on the fuel rails that bottle necked the system. You guys know better than I do.

I think this will be as far as I go with speed upgrades that's why I was looking into just getting away with changing the fuel pump. How hard is it to upgrade the fuel rails? I'm not too keen on changing the fuel lines as I heard it's a pain in the butt job. or is it?

As usual thanks for the input. Anyone else got something to add?

Oh ya forget about that, the stock rail at the feed fitting is narrowed down and IMO sucks for anyone concerned with tuning high HP GN's or running HP with E85.

You probably saw guys running twin pumps with the stock lines, they have made big power, but the stock lines add back pressure. That is why I chose to go -8 SS and the Champion Rail with the 340 vs the possibility of having to go double pumper on gas in the high 9 area ( someday ).

The Champion rail is a straight shot, though I think someone posted measurements saying the stocker and the Champion are actually the same size internally. But that narrowing at the feed in the stock rail really blows IMO.

The Champion rail is a straight shot, though I think someone posted measurements saying the stocker and the Champion are actually the same size internally. But that narrowing at the feed in the stock rail really blows IMO.

You can cut the feed fitting off and re-plumb the stock rail.

BlackOut - If I upgrade fuel lines , I will install braided lines on the GN all the way from the tank. Have the fitting cut off the rail and re-done and call it good or like Booster get a Champion rail.I believe a few people on this board have done excatly what I'm mentioning here with great results.

I must add though, at the point all of this would have to be done you'd be past the 95# injector mark which is the limit for the stock ECM. :rolleyes:

Its just money right ?? LOL....:biggrin:

I think all of that is way further than I wanted to take it. :) I just want to run E85 and make sure my fuel system can handle it. I've heard some not-so-good things about the 79# Hi-Z injectors. Anyone have any experience with them?

I might just go with a modded ECM and be done with it.