You can type here any text you want

84 long block with 78 access.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HokeySon

basic questions to many of you probably, but can i use a 84 long block with a 78-83 turbo set up? Are different manifolds used? thanks.

The block will interchange from 1978/87.

1978 used different heads (low ports) than 1979/87.

Thanks for the reply, but what about the distributor/ cam indicator difference? I did a little more research and seem to find that the 84-85 did not use a distributor, but used some sort of electronic iginition with multiple coils. It looked like a difference in the block to me. Can I put a distributer in the 84 block and jetison the EEC system? thanks again. I am just learning these buicks.

The cam sensor is like a distributor wihout the top part. It goes into the hole that the distribtor went into, so yes a distributor will fit into the '84 long block.

The '84 turbo exhuast manifolds/crossover will work with a 79/83. The up-pipe, intake, turbo and downpipe are different.

Do you have a '78 car that you're putting the '84 motor in?

thanks again.
No, the story is that I am piecing together parts for a sandrail motor and came accross a 78 turbo sys and an 84 rebuilt long block for good prices. So I don't have wiring harness, exhaust or smog issues. The first two are going to have to be fabricated and the rail is titled as a '59 volkswagen so I don't need smog. I appreciate your help and hope I can continue to ask questions as I learn about these motors.

Back