86/87 Throttle BOdy common to other 3.8L engines

terryk

Is the TR/GN throttle body unique to these engines or are the other NA's TB's the same?

For example the throttle body from a 3.8L FWD...Same or different?

Good question. I believe I had a vin 3 TB once and cosmetically it looked identical. I actually use the IAC adaptor, return springs/bushing, and TPS screws from it on my vin 7 TB. I can tell you that these parts from it are identical for sure. Unfortunately I gave the TB away so I can't compare it anymore. I'll bet Jay Jackson knows...

That's what I'm thinking. Both are 58mm I believe (but then I believe a lot of things). Cable attachment might be different though.

Maybe I'll go to the local PnP and grab one.

Terry

Yes the black arm that the cables attached to was completely different. This piece is TR specific for sure.

Yep... the linkage is different as is the area that the shaft goes through as there are no seals. Otherwise, they sure look the same and do share a lot of parts.

Can they be used on a TR? Sure. Do I recommend it? No... for the same reasons Stevemon stated above.

I researched the possibility of using them as cores and machining them to accept seals, but it wasn't going to be cost effective.

I think that says it all. At least I can use one for the adapters for the LS1 mass.

Thanks all!

Terry