You can type here any text you want

87 gn vs 99 lightning

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickbert

ok here it is, my best friend has a 99 lightning. it is completely stock with the exception of a flowmaster muffler. he kinda laughed at me when i told him that my little v6 would tear him a new one. he doesnt know a great deal about cars (performance ones at least). i knew i would kill him cause my 88 iroc used to take him up until 1/2 way through 3rd, and it only had k/n. i was very very happy when that car got stolen, insurance gave me (fair market value for it, 4500!) that just happened to be 1/2 what my gn cost. well long story short, we pulled up to the light the first night that i brought the gn home, he was power braking the lightning, so i just kinda gave my car a lil gas and brought it up to 4 psi. light turned green and we were off, the gn hooked right away and kinda jumped sideways, the lightning launched straight with a fair amount of tire smoke. at 2nd gear i had 3 lenghts on him, at od he was about 7-8 behind me and he didnt get any closer then that. when we got back to the house he was dumbfounded. for a while he only wanted to go out in my car to pick on ppl. well the fun has ended, i spun a bearing so im in the process of getting a new motor put together. .30 over forged trw's, billet mains, gn107 poston cam, ported/polished heads with oversized valves and 3 angle valve job, ported intake/plenum, afpr, t-44, poston headers, and stock intercooler for now. fm cost a lil too much for me right now. before i spun the bearing it was running low 13's with stock motor, rebuilt trans with art carr kit and 9' conv and 4.10 out back. ( i know i know stock 3.42's are better, i also working on that too. what do you guys think the new setup will do?

It will probably run close to what mine has, as the combo's are fairly similar. Oh you gotta get the 3.42's back in there.

nice kill. I just traded in my 04 srt-4 for an 03 Lightning and im loving it, but still someday plan to get a GN, possibly just as a track car. Anyway, Ls can be modded pretty damn quick too, so watch out! did you say you were running low 13s when you did this?

To bad the short block on the Lightning isnt as stout as the srt's. Just got to be easy on the lightnings powdered rods! Fun trucks though

did you say you were running low 13s when you did this?

yep, but in all fairness, 1-he is quick to mash the gas and spin, 2-stock air filter, plugs, everything and he is 9000 over an oil change! i tell him all the time to do it.
like 13.3 to 13.5 range
buickbert

Back