You can type here any text you want

87 intermittently shuts down possible TPS?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yah's 87

stock only exception turbo tweak chip and 50lb injectors,120k mile car with 3000miles on a rebuilt engine. thought to be a throttle position sensor, replaced with a BWD and everything was great for a 2 weeeks, symptoms have returned shuts down and able to restart after about 20 min and drives normal. very infrequently mostly during high speed mph creates heat under hood? have newer vacuum lines, plugs, wires, oxygen sensor, fuel filter, oil, hoses, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulater. do not have scanmaster yet so unable to provide any diagnostics, thank, Ron

Maybe ignition module...mine threw a code 41. Pulled off hwy, shut off motor and it wouldn't start for 5 minutes or so until it cooled down.

Same answer as above. Long time ago it used to happen to me. Left me stranded on the New Jersey Tnpk. for hours once. Although, I think my problem was water/moisture related. It still turned out to be the ignition module.

I had something similar happening to my GN a few months after I bought it as a stocker.

Behind the battery is a weather-pack plug for the ECM. Single orange wire.

The weather pack wasn't clipped together all the way making an intermittent connection.

That would be something you could easily check before going further.

I had a similar problem as well before,it was about 4 years ago. Mine would shut off at stop signs and traffic lights when i stopped at them in town. I don't drive my car on the highway so i don't know if it would have happened there as well. It would start right back up, but maybe that was due to not building up as much heat as it would driving on the highway. It turned out to be the coil pack.

I don't want to promote throwing parts at it to try fixing it, but if you still have the stock ignition module and coil pack which are very old now,it may be time for an upgrade to newer parts. I like to replace those two parts as a set no matter which one had gone bad and caused the problem.

My balancer was a little bit loose. Retorqued and problem solved. No more intermittent shut offs.

Back