You can type here any text you want

87 TR Factory Service Manual

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1KWIKSIX

Am going to remove front springs & am looking for the excerpt from the factory manual on how they recommend doing this.
Can anyone post some pictures & excerpts?

please & thanks

dave

Last edited:
No except here but I've used compressors and a floor jack on separate occasions depending on wether the car has an engine in it. I reccomend leaving the shock hooked up and you might wrap a chain through the coil and around the frame for safety. Jack stands are a must.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks TexasT,
Was thinking of removing upper shock mount, then raising car onto jack stands & then removing lower shock mount, & remove shock absorber assembly. Next, loosen lower ball joint castle nut & whacking it with a BFH to break it loose. Then using a jack stand, raise the lower control arm to put tension on the spring assembly & remove the castle nut completely. Very slowly lower the floor jack until spring tension is relaxed and lower the control arm all the way down , removing the spring.

alternatively,
I do have an internal spring compressor I borrowed from a mechanic buddy....I could install this in the spring when the shock is removed and then lower control arm?

Any other words of wisdom or recommendations from those that have done this before.

thanks

dave

The reason for leaving the shock in is to help contain the spring if something bad were to happen. Nothing wrong with what you described. Stand to the side in case something slips. There is a LOT of force contained in that spring. You might invest in a "pickle fork" incase your bfh doesn't dislodge the ball joint from the spindle.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back