You can type here any text you want

'99 z28 6spd

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbows6

I just finished up the break in miles on the TTA and went to town a couple nights ago with a friend of mine and ran into another guy I know that's got a '99 Z28 with a 228*/.570" cam, headers, ls6 intake and some port work etc. I don't have mine tuned because my old Dos laptop is down, so I just have Boost, Fuel pressure, and knock gauges to look at for now. I just turned the methanol up to where it has no knock at 20#s, but I'd say the A/F ratio is off. We were both on street tires, so we decided to try it from a slow roll of about 25mph. We both had a passenger and had a spectator vehicle behind us. I built about 3#'s boost in 2nd gear and rolled into the throttle on the 3rd honk to keep from spinning. The TA skated around some but didn't blow the tires away, but the Camaro spun pretty bad. I locked the converter at the top of 2nd and think I had about 4 cars on him by the top of the gear because I could see him in the rear view mirror. The TA hit 3rd and put a few more cars on him, I don't know how many, but he was pretty far back in the rear view I'd guess around 6 cars. It should have been a little closer, but I'd guess I could have won by a safe margin anyway. I had driven the Camaro before and I knew it ran pretty good. It ran mid-upper 12's at 110mph on nitto tires before the track closed for the winter, so I think the TTA has the potential to run some good numbers with tuning and some boost :D

Nice run!:cool:

I had driven the Camaro before and I knew it ran pretty good. It ran mid-upper 12's at 110mph on nitto tires before the track closed for the winter,
This kinda surprises me. A stock 6-speed LS1 Camaro has the potential to run high 12s on drag radials. My car is a 2.73-geared auto and has a lid, headers, cutout, and Nittos and I have run a best of 12.79 @ 109.9. 12.8s in nice air are common. No cam swap, head work, gears, stall or anything else. A Camaro like the one in your story should run much better. Oh well, sounds like it was a good time.:)

I agree, that car doesn't run that great for what it is. I think if he had a good tire on it other than the little 255 nittos it would run lower 12's. He bought the car with all the work done and I have my doubts about the integrity of the build. It's reliable and runs OK, but I think my old C5 with a Thunder Racing 224 cam and a few bolt-ons could have taken it out. I also have a '99 SS 6pd hardtop right now. I'm a fan of LS1's too.

Back