You can type here any text you want

a/c quit blowing cold today :(

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

j13smiley

drove the tta to work today. on the way home i turned on the air conditioner.... blowig hot air :( after about 10 minutes i was getting some *cool* air but definatly no air conditioning...

i'm hoping i just need to recharge the system :crossfingers: our cars used r12 right? i'm hoping it will be easier to track down some r12 than convert to r132.

anyone have any advice. i just started doing some reading on converting, using mixed oils, etc.... but figured i'd ask here for input from fellow tta guys.....

finding R12 is pretty tough now. A lot of it has been disposed of since it's pretty much useless and illegal. You'd have to find a AC tech that would do it on the side. You have to be certified to get R12 too I think.

You need to check for leaks. Look around the compressor pulley for oil and visually check all the lines, especially around the evaporator. Bite thu bullet and go to the 134.

89ICBM said:
. Bite thu bullet and go to the 134.

That would be CRAZY!! Especially since ALL GM Dealerships have R-12 that they can ReCharge for you (Won't sell it to you through the parts counter though) at ~$60.00 a pound!! Cheaper and Smarter than CONVERTING!!

Why would converting be crazy? All it takes is a $2 to $3 orfice and maybe 3 cans of R134 at $8 to $10 a can and some oil.

89ICBM said:
Why would converting be crazy? All it takes is a $2 to $3 orfice and maybe 3 cans of R134 at $8 to $10 a can and some oil.

ya I don't see the big deal eithier ... All my Buicks have been converted over ... took about a half hour - fourty five minutes :eek: :D

TClassic said:
That would be CRAZY!! Especially since ALL GM Dealerships have R-12 that they can ReCharge for you (Won't sell it to you through the parts counter though) at ~$60.00 a pound!! Cheaper and Smarter than CONVERTING!!

Well I wouldn't just go and have it recharged. It probably has a leak somehwere and he needs to find that first before going and spending all the money in having it recharged especially if he's going to use R12.

Don't know how your AC gurus work in USA but a local guy here in my little hometown always seak after the leak, he sprays something on all connections and check the radiator.

If there aren't no leaks, all you have to do to convert the system is to vacuum suck the old oil and fill up with a new one that is compared to R134.

All work and R134 is approx: $70

I payed to convert my T-type to R134 four years ago....$200....Money well spent....Cheaper in the long run. :)

r134 doesn't cool as well as R-12 in an R-12 system because there is not enough surface area on old condensors. It took engineers two years to figure this out, because in 1994, all they did was put R134 in AC systems that were not redesigned. That's why almost all 1994 and 1995 model cars and trucks are notorius for bad AC systems. Almost all 1996 cars had different condensors with better surface area. In Texas, you can feel the difference.

I've put FREEZE-12 in both of my R12 vehicles and the AC is almost Freezeing. It is a EPA approved replacement for R12. And Freeze-12 is a colder refrigerant than R12 or R134. You don't need a license to buy Freeze-12, you just have to find it. I got mine from EBAY sellers. You don't hae to change the oil with Freeze-12 like you do with R134.

And to anyone who says it's like putting propane in your AC system, not only is that untrue, but I have terrible news for you: you already have a combustable substance flowing from back to front in your car :rolleyes:

Well, I guess I will have to come down on the side of leaving the R-12 in. I converted my car years ago. I replaced the accumulator, orifice tube, vacced the system and added the oil and 134. Ran it for a little while and the compressor started squealing real bad :confused: . Ended up replacing the compressor and changing the condensor to a parallel flow so the system would perform like it used too. Blows cold as heck now but I have about 400 bucks invested in it. If I had it to do over again, I would just stick with R12. Doing the conversion is kinda like russian roulette. Some cars have no problem and others do. I you do decide to convert I would at least change the accumulator along with the orifice tube. All accumulators made now are 134 safe whearas some of the older ones arent', meaning the 134 will eat through the dessicant bag and spread black goo throughout the system basically screwing up everything. If this happens everything needs to be replaced. They call it the black death in the AC biz and its very expensive. LOL :D

i can get r12 if needed ;)

i talked with my buddy, hopefully my sfc connectors will get here today or tomorrow and he is going to be doing the welding for me. he's going to help me check the system for leaks and to make sure everything is working. if all the parts are good - he is recommending a simple retrofit kit and converting it to 134.

thanks for the input guys! it seems everywhere i read i get the same results as what you posted ;) i'll update here when we get everything check out and done!

thanks!!!

turbot2496 said:
and changing the condensor to a parallel flow so the system would perform like it used too. Blows cold as heck now but I have about 400 bucks invested in it. If I had it to do over again, I would just stick with R12. Doing the conversion is kinda like russian roulette. Some cars have no problem and others do. I you do decide to convert I would at least change the accumulator along with the orifice tube. All accumulators made now are 134 safe whearas some of the older ones arent', meaning the 134 will eat through the dessicant bag and spread black goo throughout the system basically screwing up everything. If this happens everything needs to be replaced. They call it the black death in the AC biz and its very expensive. LOL :D

If your system ISN'T leaking, like I said above, go to your Jobber Friendly GM Dealer and let them Charge it up at ~$60.00 a pound (jobber price)- And best of all - No Russian Roulette!!

refrigerant

Hi,
Guys, I would say go back with R12 to recharge our systems, because 134a is also getting expensive. At $30 per 12 oz. can of R12, versus $15 for 134a, what the hell? I know, you have all heard the crap involving R12 and the environment. I care too, but I must mitigate that.I don't know when things are going to get better, no time soon, for sure.
I can't believe we are getting cheated on all these commodities to the extent we are. Something stinks, and I'm waiting for it to hit the fan! Soon, my brothers... Enough said, we'll see.

If the person knows what they are doing 134 can blow the doors off 12. I just put a new compressor, dryer, orfice tube on my GN and had my mech dial it in and it blows ice cold AC. WAY colder then any R12 GN I've been in. Was almost 100 degrees out all day and it was pushing 64 out of the vents. Don't think you can get much better then that!
Most good shops will have a dye to put in your car to see if there is a leak. It's flourcent yellow and under a black light you can see it. You can also see it if the leak is bad without the black light. Looks like it's in a big caulk gun. My mech shot some in when he was done in case a leak happens it takes 2 seconds to find it. I would find a shop that is local that has a good AC rep. The dealer will most likely beat the balls off your car while it's there and still screw it up. Dealers are only good when the car is still under new and warrenty IMO. I'm sure there is a good AC guy in your town. Just ask around. You and your pocket will be much more happy :cool:

The VENT TEMPS Today on my TTA coming back from a Show (Won Best of Show Trophy as well, a LOT of pissed-off Vette Owners :biggrin: ) was exactly 48 degrees and it felt Fantasic. Original R-12 of course......Not knocking anyone either!!!

For compasisons sake, my 2004 Impala(Company car) has vent temps of ~42-43degrees, measured yesterday. Both weekend days were 95 up here in Beautiful Berks County

Woah Brian! Best of show?! Congrats... What show was this? I have a ton of vette buddies that don't like the TTA's. You MUST take a pic of the trophy in front of or around the car somewhere! Maybe under the hood somewhere? Make sure I can see the "best of show" on it as well! I so need to jam a picture like that in their faces! Don't worry I won't let them know who it was! Maybe I can finally shut them the heck up! Please do that for me ASAP! :cool: :cool:

Conversion to 134

Just had it done. No regrets, and reasonable cost.
No more messing with the cost and hassle of R-12

Jim,

No digital Camera, but I'll bring the Trophy with me to E-Town on L-Day Weekend THATS FOR SURE!! I'm sure me and you will be the only 2 in our class there..at least the BEST 2 that is!

Back