? about fan

workingdan

I started my car yesterday and let it warm up and switched on the ac to see if the fan would come on and it didnt. The fan comes on when coolant temp reaches 160 degrees. what should I look for? Thanks

Does the A/C pump even turn on? Do you have enough pressure in the system to trigger the switch on the freon reservoir? Theres another switch over by the A/C pump. Whatever you do, do not jump those connectors. I jumped mine and it ended up frying the pump.
Pop the connectors off the relays on the drivers side inner fender, (high and low speed fans and delay box (biggest one) and remove the relays. Use ronsonol lighter fluid, a plastic bristle wire brush and compressed air..or get a can of compressed air in a can..usually used for cleaning electronic components and circuit boards. Clean all that electrical grease (that has most likely turned to tar by now) off all the pins on the relays and out of the sockets on the connectors. Be as thorough as you possibly can. My fan was barely spinning when I bought my car. Sometimes it wouldnt come on at all. High speed fan didnt work at all either. Use an x-acto knife as well...really helps get out the tar in hard to reach places. After I cleaned all my connectors and relays out (on both inner fenders), my fan worked like new again. Even if this isnt the problem you're having, you should take a look in there. All those pins and sockets should be clean and dry and be 100% bare exposed metal. No tar anywhere. Having poor electrical connections can cause the circuit to pull alot of current...popping fuses, alternators dying, batteries dying, things shorting out and alot of weird things happening. Its good to do the same thing to the relay and knock sensor module on the passenger side inner fender too. People wonder why they're not getting 12 volts at the fuel pump, and then go buy a hotwire kit to fix it...when the whole time it was caused by all that tar in the connectors, destroying the connection, causing a huge voltage drop anytime you have a load on the system.