You can type here any text you want

AC Compressor Removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ccognetta

Any tricks to remove the ac compressor? Having a heck of time with one lower bolt and one all the way behind it close to the header.. Thanks.

Hve you removed the drivers side tire?...much easier to go in through there...

just replaced mine

I had no problem with access from the top. Removed alt & belt tensioner so I could see better & squirt penetrating oil on nuts & bolts. Nut under the pulley, on the bolt built into the accessory bracket, was frozen. Had to cut it off. :smile:

I know this is an old thread, but i've read thru every other AC COMPRESSOR related thread that came up in search. What's the trick to getting the lower nut off. The one that is partially blocked by the pulley ? Do you have to pull the clutch to get this nut off ? I have the other nut and bolts out, but am stumped on how to go after this last nut.

I know this is an old thread, but i've read thru every other AC COMPRESSOR related thread that came up in search. What's the trick to getting the lower nut off. The one that is partially blocked by the pulley ? Do you have to pull the clutch to get this nut off ? I have the other nut and bolts out, but am stumped on how to go after this last nut.
Grind down a wrench so it fits in there. Most are too thick to fit.

Loosen nut a little pull ac unit forward a little using a flat wrench. keep doing this until nut separate from bolt.

Thanks, but it's not so much a wrench fitment issue as it is room to swing the wrench. I'd be happy to custom make a tool, but the power steering lines are in the way to get any kind of movement of the wrench. My 14mm Craftsman will actually fit on it, just no room to turn.

I wasn't totally correct when i said the PS lines where in the way, one hose is, and the PS pulley is in the way. Anyway, it looks like i might be able to get a 15mm crows foot on it. Will try that tonite. Here are some pics. The nut is the one at the 6 o'clock position.
photo 1(1).JPG
photo 2(1).JPG
photo 3.JPG

Just but the wrench on the nut behind the pulley and spin the bolt on the backside of the accessories bracket.
It's a through bolt.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What mtocrs1 said. I was able to remove all the bolts just fine. Having trouble unplugging the wiring harness for the clutch coil, it does not want to come loose. Is there a release tab or anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a good tip on spinning the bolt from the backside. Not sure i'd have had room for that, but if you guys did i suppose i would have too.

That said, the crows foot worked perfectly and the nut was able to come off and clear the pulley. Had to pull that bolt out to be able to get the compressor to swivel off the upper stud, but now it's off and i can proceed.

Thanks guys. Hopefully now with a documented removal from start to finish, the next guy that comes across this will be able to do his easier.

McGuyver, I just looked at my connector and there is no lock tab. Doesn't look like there was either (thinking maybe mine was broken off)

No lock tab. It's just a two prong connector. Be careful though. There is a diode soldered on the wire side of the connector. To much wiggling and the diode can come loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, and if you mash the bare diode wires where they short to each other, you'll blow the AC fuse.

Side story: On our trip from FL to CA we stopped at a shop to find the rattle that developed shortly into our trip. Don't know if it was intentional or not, but they mashed those wires together, blew the fuse then told me there was no power getting to the compressor and it needed a new compressor. o_O I stuck my head in there, separated the wires, replaced the fuse and we motored onto CA. with the AC still functioning but making noise. ....now i'm finally getting around to replacing the noisy compressor.

Tori and mtocrs1, Thanks for the info and diode warning. I will see if I can get it unplugged this weekend. I need that compressor out of the way to finish up a hydroboost install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back