You can type here any text you want

Accel Sequential DFI Modification? Where to get it??? Do I need it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I purchased an accel sequential dfi generation 6 used of course which was used on a gn with the stock crank trigger and a pro'billet distributor. I was told it was modified to run with the distributor and in order to run it with the stock ignition that I will need to send it back to accel to modify it. Does anyone know how? Does anyone know where? And does anyone know WHY??? Thanks all for your help. Cant wait to start tuning with this gadget.

Scott

Scott-
Go to Accel.com and go to the "contact us" link. Thir address is there. I am sending mine in today for repairs.
Mitch

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
I purchased an accel sequential dfi generation 6 used of course which was used on a gn with the stock crank trigger and a pro'billet distributor. I was told it was modified to run with the distributor and in order to run it with the stock ignition that I will need to send it back to accel to modify it. Does anyone know how? Does anyone know where? And does anyone know WHY?
Actually, you mispoke when you called the original TR setup a "stock crank trigger." :(

The reason why is that with a crank trigger setup, you typically have a disc attached to the back of the balancer. This "disc" (aka the trigger wheel) has a tooth every 6 degrees EXCEPT for two teeth missing at a set point in relation to top dead center. Your DFI was modified to read this "60 minus 2" tooth wheel. I will guess that this modification is a chip change and/or a wiring change.

The stock GN balancer has an interrupter ring attached to the back of it with only three "windows" (look at your stock piece and you will understand). These windows pass through the crank sensor. As such, the the stock setup has much less resolution than a trigger wheel.

Further, a old-style distributor is a "dumb" piece of equipment when compared to a TR's electronic ignition. An electronic distributor (now readily available) allows much more modification to the timing curve, blah, blah, blah but, I don't know what style distributor was in use before. Point is - the TR-style ignition module and coil pack requires different wiring than any distributor.

Hop that answers your questions.:)

Back