You can type here any text you want

aluminum or iron

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

no-nos

question can someone tell me the pro's and con's about aluminum stage II or iron stage II :confused: , i'm about to build a stage II with aluminum heads i have the money to go either way but i could spend the $1500 dollar differance buying something else, but i hear this and that, I mean i know alum-is 100lbs lighter but what else? feedback please :)

As with any version cylinder head, Aluminum is easier to repair and dissipates heat much better than iron. The latter allowing the heads to more safely make additional HP.

thanks scott, thats the exact type of info i'm looking for, thanks for the feedback :)

Not trying to hijack the thread, but his is kinda related.
Would the difference be less if the iron heads were ceramic coated in the chambers and exhaust ports?
What about doing the same to aluminum heads? would that "insulation" then make them the same as iron heads?

I understand there is some history of cracking with iron heads in a turbo application. Safer to stick with aluminum, IMHO.

Mac in SD said:
I understand there is some history of cracking with iron heads in a turbo application. Safer to stick with aluminum, IMHO.

true, good point.

If an iron head and an aluminum head were identical except for the material, the iron head would make more hp due to the ability to RETAIN heat. Aluminum as Scott posted is a much better choice for resistance to detonation(especially on a forced induction engine) ,ease of repair and weight savings.

EightSecV6 said:
If an iron head and an aluminum head were identical except for the material, the iron head would make more hp due to the ability to RETAIN heat. Aluminum as Scott posted is a much better choice for resistance to detonation(especially on a forced induction engine) ,ease of repair and weight savings.
So ceramic coated aluminum heads would make more power due to heat retention, but be more prone to detonation?

I would do the Aluminum/Aluminum combo. You'll love how nimble the car will handle with the weight savings in the front end!!

thanks guys , good feedback it looks like i will go ahead and get the aluminum block :) ,
thanks again ;)

Back