You can type here any text you want

Another test pipe question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

auto_cran

On a totally stock TTA - by installing a test pipe, would there be a noticeable increase in performance?

I'm talking a totally bone stock car here - no alky kit, aftermarket chip, - not even an adjustable waste gate or fuel pressure regulator.

Just want to know if a test pipe would help. I have heard some say that by removing the cat (on a stock car), the car would run worse. True? :confused:

Also - to remove the cat and put in the test pipe - is there welding involved, or is it simply unbolting the cat and bolting in the pipe in place?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
-----------------
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1645 miles)

Yeah I ran a 13.1@100 bone stock besides for drag radials and a cutout.

As far as welding you never really know. It all depends on how you set it up. As far as I know they don't make a test pipe to fit on a stock TTA (or from what I remember whenever I contacted John Percy last summer about it). Installing one is nothing very difficult, if you need any welding taking it to any shop with a welder will suffice. But like I said it all depends on what you wanna do. For me I couldn't get my cat off so I cut it off, if you could get both sides to unbolts you could probably make a test pipe if you needed that would just bolt in.

Watch it though with a test pipe, if you get one with the cutout and it doesnt have an extension tube to get it blowing hot air away from the Tranny(your testpipe is right next to it) it could heat things up and have your tanny doing what mine is! (flares, toasted TCC solinoid etc.) just keep the heat away and your good to go.

72firebird said:
For me I couldn't get my cat off so I cut it off,

You gotta be KIDDIN me!! All you gotta do is take 10 minutes and heat it up with your torch, then it just slides off like butter!!

Then of course GUT the hell out of it - Now THAT is a PITA and does take a while! :)

TClassic said:
You gotta be KIDDIN me!! All you gotta do is take 10 minutes and heat it up with your torch, then it just slides off like butter!! The GUT the hell out of it - Now THAT is a PITA and does take a while! :)

my exhaust wasn't original and I wasn't planning on keeping the cat. I didn't have a torch to use at the time either. Took me about 5 minute to cut it off. I wish I would have done it differently now but nothing I can do to change that.

test pipe

Hi,
I bought mine with the converter removed, and the job was done cut and weld.These are stock GN converters with an adaptor at the rear, which means any test pipe, like the one Hooker includes in their catback systems, would have worked. Oh well, think I can fix the minimal damage.After 100K, you can't see through the original very well, so it was a good thing to get rid of it. however, I want mine to pass emissions,so will install a hi flow job when finances permit.

I have one and have replaced my cat once with it for a short while.
The car seemed totally different!
Bone stock, would not do a burn out.
With the test pipe, I could scratch from a dead stop, without powerbreaking.
Necksnapping second gear chirp too! I was unprepared for that! Probably because the car still had the stock tires!
However, I never played with it long, since I had to smog the car again!
Now that I live where there is no smog checks, I just may go back!

George :cool:

Back