You can type here any text you want

antenna wire problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ponch

Looks like my antenna wire was bad, how difficult is it to replace and any tips on where to start? Also since I am going to be removing the power antenna should i just go ahead and put a standard antenna in its place since it will fail eventually.

Thanks

Suit yourself, but I replaced my failed power antenna with another power antenna. I don't adopt the fatalistic attitude that it has to fail again. I clean it and keep it lubed with a light oil every couple of months. If it does fail, well I'll just have to fix it again!

My radio has also lost contact for the 2nd time. AM goes just about totally dead, and the FM band receives a few stations, poorly at that. The first time, I removed the radio and found that the antenna connection had worked free at the back of the radio. I plugged it in and taped the antenna to the case. Now it's doing it again and when I pulled the radio, the connection in the back was still sound. I think that my cable may be bad because of a rat that was crawling up into my engine compartment. This weekend I may have to tear into the fender again to see what it looks like.

Originally posted by Ken Cunningham
I think that my cable may be bad because of a rat that was crawling up into my engine compartment. This weekend I may have to tear into the fender again to see what it looks like.

WOW, how long has your car been sitting. hehe

Originally posted by ponch
Looks like my antenna wire was bad, how difficult is it to replace and any tips on where to start?

You have to unbolt passenger fender to gain access to unit after you remove bolt with star washer, antenna bezel and disconnect coax with electrical harness.

Also since I am going to be removing the power antenna should i just go ahead and put a standard antenna in its place since it will fail eventually.

Thats up to you. I replaced mine 6 + years ago and it still works with no problems but I do maintain the mast with WD-40.

Thanks

Well, I took my radio out to assess the situation. I think it's the radio. And I think this is the 3rd one of the UX1 radios (cass/eq) that I have had fail in the exact same way. The radio suffers sudden loss of sensitivity. It effects the AM band the worst; I can only receive 1 station now, a very close transmitter. On FM I can receive a few stations, but those poorly. However, I can still receive my cd changer which injects its FM signal into the antenna path at 87.9 MHz. ??!??

Back