Antifreeze at head

ringman

Good evening....so i had a stroker shortblock built, approx $7k worth for a 800 hp build. Anyways, i put the heads on, with ARP head studs, i used the proper sealer for the water jacket. Got engine all together and put in antifreeze, and it leaks at the passenger side head and block surface. Enough to put a small puddle on the floor. Mind you i havent even cranked the engine yet. Also i took the vc off and there is a small amount of antifreeze in the oil return port. My friend adviced me this is common when using head studs? Also that i should use a Bars leaks type of mix with the water to seal it. Im no expert....is this common? Is this true? I have like $12k in the motor and i dont want to ruin it. Thx

Permatex High Temp Thread Sealer #59235 on the stud threads and ARP Teflon thread sealer on the nuts and washers works well. The torque values will be correct when used on the nuts and washers according to ARP. AC Delco 10-108 seal tabs in the radiator after you get it running. I have had the same problems in the past with studs. I had leaks with ARP sealer on the stud threads in the block. It does not seal very well on the studs at the block. If you have Cometic head gaskets, the block and heads have to be very flat and smooth also.

I had issues in the past with the ARP sealant, I gave up on it at some point. I've used silicone on the threads of the head studs for years since then and haven't had a problem. The whole deal with Bars leak or GM coolant tabs is just a band aid. I'd fix it now.

If it leaks that much with zero pressure on it, I wouldn't run it. Think of how much it'll leak under pressure! It sounds like the heads need to come back off.

Also, for this very reason, I never bust off a new engine with antifreeze in it. Antifreeze has chemicals in it that eat bearing coatings.

Today im going to drain out the antifreeze...i appreciate the idea on that. It looks like the right head gaskets were used, and the proper sealant on head studs

Get a pressure tester and start pumping. This may narrow down exactly where its coming from before teardown.