You can type here any text you want

any mods needed to tranny when installing vigilante 9.5" LU converter?

• Thread starter Thread starter faststkr
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
F

faststkr

when installing a vigilante 9.5" single disk LU is there any thing special to do to the tranny?

I would get a tranny cooler, the biggest one you can get. I didn't for my camaro and needed a new tranny after awhile.

New tranny seal(s)? U joints?

Let me know how it goes I have a new one to put in some year. :)

If you have a pretty fast ride, and plan on doing some hard lauches at high rpm and boost with slicks, get a hardened stator and 10 vane pump.

Your stock stator teeth might need a dentist after a few strong passes if you are running pretty fast. And the big tranny cooler is a must for any performance tranny, get one if you do not already have it.

I only plan on mid to high 11 sec passes with mild launches no tire snatchers.

The stock torque converter has a 1.97 k factor, the vigilante has a 2.55, so you are going to be getting more torque applied to the wheels and trans at any boost.

I have heard of guys doing low 11's with the stock pump and stator, and others who's stator made it into the low 12's before needing an appointment to the dentist. The stock piece has been very unpredictable. And it does not even come up on the hardening scale, the hardened stator is a 36 rockwell, not to brittle, but no soft like the stocker.

If you have a bunch miles on that stock piece, than I would recommend ditching it, otherwise for a street car will blaring street tires you should fine with the stock stator. Most gn's on street tires are high 12 low 13 cars with pump gas.

Back