You can type here any text you want

are t wheels clear coated from factory?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

johnnyttype

just as the title says, are t wheels clear coated from factory? ive searched and it seems to be that they are but its hard to believe that when looking at the rims in person! thanks in advance:)

oh and does anyone have any suggestions on how to get brake dust off of the rough cast areas of the rim, i want these guys to look halfway decent for Ocean City this year!

I believe that they were clear coated from the factory, and that is what gives them a sort of purplish hue when they are new. I would use old soft brushes to clean off the brake dust when you are washing the car. I do not believe in the use of harsh chemicals when cleaning rims. A lot of the rim cleaners on the market will spot or damage the clear coat if not removed / rinsed off quick enough. Once they are clean, keeping them clean with liquod palmolive dish soap & soft brushes seems to work best for me.

cool, thanks. i saw on the mother's website that they say to use their plastic polish on clear coated rims, anyone ever try? i'll have to try some palmolive:)

I would be certain that they are referencing that application for the more common polished aluminum, painted, & chromed rims and not for those of cast aluminum configuration / surface texture. I have very carefully used a polish wax for the portion of the rim that has been machined to put some type of protective coat on them. I personally don't think that any type of polish, wax, glaze, rubber anti-oxidant is going to improve the look or appearance of that aluminized surface texture. If you want to step up to the plate a little on car care products in general, try "Adam's polishes" out of Torrance, Kali. Especially their "LVR" or "Leather, Vinyl, Rubber" cream. Just my opinion. HTH
And after re-reading your post, I am sure that they recommended that plastic polish as it is pretty much "Clear-coat safe" but still not for cast surface applications.

Back