ATR Pitbull Chip??

Redneck

It's Been Awhile!!!
I just bought my '87' GN it's mostly stock xcept for the ART CARR tranny, with 2500 RPM converter. Turbo is stock and the previous owner did the above tranny and ordered a crate motor from BUICK. Any way it has the PITBULL Chip and I was wondering if y'all had any thoughts on this chip. I had a stock 87 GN previously like 6 years ago with the same chip and it was supposed to be a good chip.. Now, I have been hearing other wise. Heard RED ARMSTRONG, THRASHER and others. Please help. Any comments would be appreciated should I change the CHIP or STAY with it?? Is there a better chip??? Or any other helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

The Pitbull is old technology. Jay Carter, Joe Lubrant, Ramchargers, Jim Testa, all make chips with the newer technology in them.
Don't forget that when you upgrade the chip you will need to upgrade the fuel pump (stock pump is at it's limit ) get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel gauge, and some sort of scan tool.

Paul

Thanks!!

I think the FUEL PUMP has been upgraded and I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I heard about RED ARMSTRONG and the others. What CHIP would be recommended. I would like a chip that could offer maximum performance with good driveability and fuel economy. Any advice you could offer would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

Get a chip from Jim...

Jim Testa is a regular on this board & really knows what makes these cars tick bud. E-mail him at jtesta1966@aol.com

You won't regret it. Great guy & will help you if there's ANY problem at all. Good luck.:)

Every car is different and depending on the state of tune it will react differently to chip choices. As you can tell by the numerous opinions out there, some like one maker and others swear by another, it all comes down to personal choice. You won't go wrong with any of the choices that I mentioned before. Personally, I like and have used Jay Carter's 94chip, and from talking to Jim Testa I would also recomend his chips as well. I have used Thrasher and Red Armstrong's chips, but prefer Jay's.
I cannot comment on the others because I have not used them.

Paul