You can type here any text you want

Average fuel fill?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Looking for first fill on the stock tank, in the 86T. I have a measured 5 gallons, Autometer gauge, and am wanting to bounce the average completely empty fill, to the 5 I have, vs what the gauge says.
AIRC, the stock tank is 18 gallons? Y/N?
Ran across this from 2012...
https://turbobuick.com/threads/fuel-tank-capacity.379681/

I think our departed friend is waay off on the 5 gallon air space......

Inputs, please....

You're supposed to do all that testing before you put it back in the car. :p

18.1 gallons so sayeth the Buick Service Manual. :)

Gotta figure there's some big noisy pump and hanger space taken up in there too. ;):D

You're supposed to do all that testing before you put it back in the car. :p

18.1 gallons so sayeth the Buick Service Manual. :)

Gotta figure there's some big noisy pump and hanger space taken up in there too. ;):D

The ga reads a weak 1/8 tank.. This leaves me to conclude there's 1-2 gallons below the low end of the sensor float, and the pick up sock. My 86T had me stranded at just on empty, when I parked on a slight incline. W/ a no start, I could never put 18 gallons in.
I'm reading 14 ohms. A 0-90 sweep shows that the 1/8th reading isn't far off. The conclusion is that, of the 5 I put in, some filled the lines, injs, rails, filter. This, plus the above mentioned :p:);):D, I think I'm GTG... Time to shred some BFG's, antagonize the cops, and undercoat the qtr panels!:smuggrin:

NE1 care to comment on the math, assumptions?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Support your local liquor store, and the local "unlicensed pharmaceutical salesman"!! :D:D

The ga reads a weak 1/8 tank.. This leaves me to conclude there's 1-2 gallons below the low end of the sensor float, and the pick up sock.

I did the math years ago and it's 1.8 gallons you don't have access to.

When I modifryed my hanger to accept a TT Supra pump I noticed that the bottom of the hangar was nowhere near the bottom. Did some match and some calcs and was befuddled at the Generals slackitude. I used a precision depth gauge I got for free from the Home Depot paint dept. Going by memory I lowered the pump 1/4" below stock.

Now here's what's really odd.... When I replaced my original tank with the same one you have, my paint stirring stick was still sitting on the roof of my TVR. Turns out the new tank needed the same depth as what the stock tank offered up.

I have a bunch of pictures I made for a 'how to set pump depth and make the rheostat work correctly with a jumper wire' writeup.

I'm sure GM just measured the tank volume with no math like including the hanger it's' height and someones lunch, rust, baffles, etc. in the tank when installed.

It's just an owners manual statistic a rough idea for the owner.

The only deep thinking GM did with the car was with the Powermaster. :eek:;)o_O:p

I'm sure GM just measured the tank volume with no math like including the hanger it's' height and someones lunch, rust, baffles, etc. in the tank when installed.

It's just an owners manual statistic a rough idea for the owner.

The only deep thinking GM did with the car was with the Powermaster. :eek:;)o_O:p

Thanks, Earl.
I agree... The rounded corners, fill tube not at the top, all contribute to <18 gallon capacity.

As for all the other "contributions" to the thread...Oh well, I should have known it would bring out the comedians!! :D:p(y)
Going to add another 5 gal, and call it "launch time".
First Holley tune written, & first start on new engine. Should be interesting. Going with 93, then turn on the alky, then E85, then race gas. Once baseline tune is done, the multi tune set up on the Dominator, will be used. DAMN! this is a nice system!

May all you drunks have a TURBCHARGED hangover!!:jawdrop:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Back