You can type here any text you want

Back to the drawing board!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
Went to the track after this round of mods. 50's,walbro 340, and some nittos. Ran a 12.7@114mph on my old combo running way lean at 18 psi. Today I ran 24-25 psi on 100 octane to a mind boggling 14.2@92mph. It was ugly! Best tonight was a 13.2@105.5mph(I just gotta find out where my 10 mph went to). I know that stickier tires will lower your mph and et's but that would require the 60's to go down not up:mad:

Just venting, Your my boostaholics anonymous sponsors!!!!!!!!!:)

Pretty easy. The car has always been pretty knock resistant even on the old combo until it went to extremes(and tortured a hg). When the pump went in and the injectors and an extender reburn i changed my settings on the extender and pulled out a lot of timing until I dial it back in. It was running way rich and still set for 92 octane. I can get to 28 psi with no knock until hit starts getting up in the rpm range of 3rd gear.

Black smoke was pouring out the back on the 24-25 run with no knock and the o2's in the mid 2 high 800's. Out of the 3 runs I had made the first was a 14.2 at 92(yuck 24-25 psi). Added a little timing and leaned it out (at 16 psi) and ran a 13.4 at 101mph(still yuck), last was a little leaner more timing and 20 psi and ran a 13.2 at 105.5(you get the picture) I lost close to 10 mph with the injectors and pump swap. Even running at 20 psi it's not close to where the turbo likes to run(according to turbonetics) and it didn't really change the o2's much at all. So if I happen not to work wed. night, I'll make a return trip to E-town to try and find the 10mph I misplaced.

Check your plugs often as I have been lately.( you may already know) 02's are not the greatest way to tune I just really found out. Freakin plugs were white as Micheal Jackson and 02's in the 830-850's:eek:

I am getting an EGT guage soon.

and a few other goodies.

I really dont see where your 10MPH went though. only thing I can think of is weather,too much fuel, just detuned, or a combo of all!

How much timing are you running BTW?

Dont run boost through it unless things are 100 percent. You'll be back at head gasket land if your not careful.

Put it back to 16 lbs and figure it out. If you cant get it running at 16 lbs..dont go to 25.

You have a direct scan? Yet ;) ?

Baby steps..else hole in wallet...

I'm sure it was all timing. Looking at previous notes on runs made with the old combo. I noticed I was off about 8* initial and 6 above 3500. That'll make a serious dent in power.
Plus I still can't figure the boost problem out. I'm using my e-cutout as a wastegate.:D

I'm in the process of trying to find a bleeder valve that way I can just run a hose from the actuator to the turbo and put a bleeder in the middle. I should be able to keep real acurate psi by then.

When was the last time the tranny was rebuilt? My 11sec 84 Z28 with a TH400 would drop in MPH soon as she needed rebuilding.

But not 10MPH!

I didnt know that timing made that much difference:confused:

10 mph just bumping timing up :confused: You must have been way off!:p

If ya blow a lot of boost with a lot of fuel..its gets lazy and drops MPH like a mofo.

Trick is to get the car running mid-high 700's without knock..then up the boost and fuel to keep it at that level..

Do three runs to get an average,,then make a change..three more runs..I cant tell you how many times I see someone go to the track..make a run..make a change..make a run..make a change and wonder why theyre car runs like crap.

Unless your crossing the traps in the mid-high 700 range..not 800's.. you are not even close.

Seat time..go and enjoy the car and slightly improve its performance one week at a time..without changing crap.

And you will have nites that the car just doesnt run rite..I've had those too..where I go and sit/spectate..till the next track day..it took me five runs last nite to figure a simple thing out..on the way home from the track..it hit me..I U-turned back to the track..rolled the car to the line..hot.. and picked up over 3 mph.. did 94 in the 1/8..that run it hit 116 hot..my other runs avg 112-114..had it cooled down, it would have hit 118...

I didn't bring my notes for where my settings were this last time out. I wasn't planning on running, but we all know how that goes. Like I said way to much fuel and no timing will kill the power(smoked like a diesel).

Gotta go back when I install the bleeder valve set it to 18psi and advance the timing to where I had it with the old combo and see what it does. I figured it was timing and fuel cause I made very small adjustments to the timing, leaning it out and picked up a second and 13 mph with only a few slight changes. When I did the hg I changed everything back to 0 to be safe.

14.2 at 92 was the first and 13.2 at 105.5 was the third(got disgusted and didn't run again). Got tires that seem to hook very well but it just didn't have the power to get moving. We'll see what happens this week if I can get a day off. 56 hours of o/t and not a day to play with the car this week.

Pete

Back