You can type here any text you want

Basic DIY chip for 009s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tminer

Not quite normal
OK, heres a shot in the dark: anyone want to give me a basic 009 chip that I can use to get me started? I'll have a TA-49 and mildly ported heads.

I'd settle for some tips for dealing with the dreaded tip in stumble.

This will be my first attempt at doing my own chips, but I am not new to assemblers or pure machine code for that matter.

I do have an aftermarket 009 chip to fall back on.

TIA,
Tom Miner
tminer@columbus.rr.com

Hmm...I thought guys like Lubrant, Testa, and JC did something so you couldn't read their chips?
I'd love to be able to though....just so I could see what they do with the programming. I'm kinda nosy like that.
And besides...I'd like to be able to up/down timing in the chip and wot fueling on the dyno with a wideband if I need to. That would be much easier than having to try and get a reburn from the guy you get your chips from.
Yeah, I know....trans + and extender....but if I could mod the chip I have slightly to make it "perfect" for my car....that would be great! :)

You cant keep someone from reading the chip image so it depends on if they move any code around and how much if they do. Looking at different chips and using the spreadsheet to see whats been done can be interesting.

Well now, I have had no problem reading chips to find out whats in them, I got a thrasher for stock injectors, I tried to read it and the timing table shows like 36 degrees timing etc.. doesnt seem right.. cant be.. no trouble with other chips though ;p

Originally posted by JayLashua
Well now, I have had no problem reading chips to find out whats in them, I got a thrasher for stock injectors, I tried to read it and the timing table shows like 36 degrees timing etc.. doesnt seem right.. cant be.. no trouble with other chips though ;p

As I understand it, Trashers put insane timing in the main table, but remove it somewhere else.

As far as reading, a read is a read....its 1's and 0's. The SW I use puts anti-tamper into the bins. To be honest, I'm not a hacker OR a programmer so I couldnt tell you how to disable it.

I guess if you know ASM, you could defeat the tamper, recalc the checksum and be done with it.

The easy thing to do is get a file compare ultility, and compare say a stocker to any given chip and see what the differences are.
WWW.TUNERCAT.COM has a neat Compbin program for doing compares.

Unless you really want to get into sorting thru code just avoid the ME's, Extenders, and Thrashers.

Read the spreadsheet on what's in the chip, and experiment. It's all rather basic but takes some sorting thru to understand what is going on.

The best thing you can do is look at a N/A bin file for a 148 and get another idea of how to handle things. The TTA has some neat ways of handling things also.

Every car is different, and if you really want your's correct, take the time and do it right. Set the injector constant to what you're actually using, and dither from there. Set the WOT timing to like 18d to be conservative, and then work on light throttle and the MAF tables. THEN start on the AE stuff. Small changes and accurate note taking is mandatory.

I've tuned LT1's before...so I kind of know what's going on and how to tune a car. But a turbo car, to me, is a whole different animal and kind of intimidating. I guess if I actually looked at a program that might change though. ;)

TurboJim, so if I try to read one of your chips with Tunercat I can at least look at the file and compare it to a stock file? Is there anything that I'd be missing by using Tunercat? I've already got Tunercat for LT1's and might just buy the bin for the GN and try to read some things. Like I said...I'm just nosey...plus I'd like to learn what's going on inside that computer.

Bruce, I've seen some of the posts and articles you've written about chip burning. I just might have to pick at your brain a little IF I try to do this. ;)

Originally posted by Dan K

TurboJim, so if I try to read one of your chips with Tunercat I can at least look at the file and compare it to a stock file? Is there anything that I'd be missing by using Tunercat? I've already got Tunercat for LT1's and might just buy the bin for the GN and try to read some things. Like I said...I'm just nosey...plus I'd like to learn what's going on inside that computer.

Have at it. If you wanna change something and cant figure out how to defeat the tamper, make the change, send me the file so I can reset the tamper, I'll send it back for you to burn

Originally posted by Dan K
I've tuned LT1's before...so I kind of know what's going on and how to tune a car. But a turbo car, to me, is a whole different animal and kind of intimidating. I guess if I actually looked at a program that might change though. ;)

Bruce, I've seen some of the posts and articles you've written about chip burning. I just might have to pick at your brain a little

Tuning is tuning.
Measuring performance, and noting trends is 2/3s the battle. After that it's just figuring out how to manipulate things to get the results you want.

EZ on the pickins, ain't much left.

Sorry that I have not kept up with this thread. I didn't expect many replies much less the chip image that I received in the mail, so I didn't make a point to check Friday night and Saturday.

Actually, and no less thanks for all of the tips, I can do it myself but I just didn't want to start from scratch unless a necessity. I won't learn that much from the dissassembly except to "borrow" the vendor specific code and maps. I know computers and have the stock source, etc, from gnttype.org, but I don't know tuning, so that is what I want to learn. By starting with a working chip I can make and test specific enhancements one by one. And my fallback chip is a Thraher, so not the best candidate for cracking.

Thanks everyone.

Tom Miner

Back